The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus manual available for download! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Looks like we forgot to mention this on the forums, but the manual for OmniFocus is now available for download from our site as a PDF.

Interested parties can get it here.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-01-21 at 05:14 PM..

Did you know that there is an typo (by way of omission) in the first sentence?

"OmniFocus is place for you to keep"

I think you are missing an 'a' or a 'the'.

;-)

Good catch - written up as a bug. ;-)

Folks : I think there are some mistakes (or I am to tired ...)

Page 13 "Choose ADD CHILD from the STRUCTURE Menu ..."

I found that option under the EDIT Menu, suboption "Outlining" ...

Am I right ??

Regards

Arturo

Folks : nothing critical ...

Page 29 "OmniPlan ignores ...." it should say OmniFocus, right ?

AM

I'm frustrated at what appears to be an unnecessarily steep learning curve for Omnifocus. Where's the "Getting Started"? The introductory video is fine as far as goes but is merely a breezy and seemingly incomplete overview. Nor does it appear to address the dynamics, ie., how all the features function, interact and integrate over time. Nowhere is there any mapping of the features to a graphic of the GTD cycle. The 50+ page manual has no table of contents, no index, no glossary. Numerous terms and phrases are introduced without a visual reference nor any definition. The single page PDF file visual overview has 5 pt. type and requires a magnifying glass to look at.

Such varied and pervasive shortcomings place Omnifocus' documentation in the lower 10% of packaged software documentation.

I get the strong suspicion that much of the buzz around Omnifocus has come from the cogniscenti, ie., from those who are already so conversant in the GTD methodology or with the manner in which other GTD apps past and present work, that they possess a context of prior understanding that a beginner lacks. It is is a poor marketing strategy for Omnigroup to appeal solely to those who are converted and bring prior experience.

Omnigroup should take a metaphorical lesson from Heathkit, the famous maker of electronic kits made years ago for kids and hobbyists to assemble. They gave their kits with instructions to the cleaning ladies who came in at the end of the day. If they could understand the instructions, then the kits were designed well enough to be ready for market. Now go forward and do likewise (ie., analogously). Find some intelligent but ignorant beginners. That's the only way you'll be able to sort out how your tacit knowledge occludes your thinking about what's pertinent and in what order it should be conveyed, and how your tacit knowledge precludes your clearly explaining how this software works and provides a valuable service.

Irrespective of its many shortcomings, the documentation for the old, now defunct, software program Ecco, was one of the most stunningly brilliant pieces of documentation. The people who wrote it really understood the dynamics of how people learn complex systems with tightly coupled conceptual interdependencies.

Comments welcome.

I think the premise of OmniFocus (as well as any other GTD app) is that you should have at least a basic knowledge of the method and terminology of GTD to be able to use these apps to anywhere near there fullest potential, so I think this is actually very understandable (that you need to already know at least some of the jargon).

Having said that, I personally haven't got even a basic understanding of the GTD way, and I am finding it quite straightforward to use OmniFocus for my own style of getting things done (simple project planning and as a to do list). Admittedly, there are many features of OmniFocus, such as reviews, that I haven't even bothered to touch as (a) I don't appear to need them for the way I am doing things and (b) I'm not sure that my gtd style would let me use them properly anyway as I undoubtedly haven't got contexts set up the way they are meant to be set up.

I guess that your criticism is right in a sense - the Help and manual could do with some basic guidance on what GTD is and how it works* but, arguably, the counter-comment would be that you should read David Allen's book first before starting to use a GTD app. IOW, the first item you should have on your OmniFocus/iGTD/Things/etc list is to read a GTD text before starting to use the app, if you intend to use it for (near) pure GTD. I should add that to my own ;)

* Edit: and also how this is applied in OmniFocus and vice versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexattend View Post
Such varied and pervasive shortcomings place Omnifocus' documentation in the lower 10% of packaged software documentation....

Irrespective of its many shortcomings, the documentation for the old, now defunct, software program Ecco, was one of the most stunningly brilliant pieces of documentation. The people who wrote it really understood the dynamics of how people learn complex systems with tightly coupled conceptual interdependencies.

Comments welcome.
Right on this post, and Eccopro was not only brilliantly documented; it was the most amazing piece of combined PIM-GTD-FileManagement-iCal and much more, stable, well... just find a copy and study this program, it's documentation and tutorial...

Just sponsor Don McAllister to do a (free) screencast like he did with Omnioutliner. I found OO so much more useful after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Looks like we forgot to mention this on the forums, but the manual for OmniFocus is now available for download from our site as a PDF.

Interested parties can get it here.
Note this is the 1.0 manual. You should update this to the link to the 1.5 manual, given this thread is specified in your FAQ.