The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Change ONE Thing & Everyone Will Be Happy Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Or at least happier...

I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this application because, while I have some expertise in software design and human factors, I have recently realized I have little ability to prioritize or focus.

That is a fairly common trait among OmniFocus users, it seems to me. However, I am looking at the interface without being burdened by any preconceived notions of how it should look, because I have never used OmniFocus for the Mac or iPhone. I am also a recent convert from the PC to the Mac, so I am not constrained by any knowledge of how Mac applications are "supposed" to look.

However I am very "sensitive" to color. As soon as I looked at the screens, I knew something was wrong, but couldn't figure out what. I tried to visualize the screens without the annoying blue notes, but still couldn't figure out what was wrong. I read many of your comments: too much wasted space, buttons too big, please don't make the fonts smaller, etc. Then I looked at the ratings on the Apps Store and was impressed by how intensely OmniFocus users support the company. Why? Because OmniGroup makes great products and obviously listens to its customers.

Finally I decided to pause for a moment and assemble some furniture from IKEA (thank you Swedish contingent of OmniFocus users). This diversion allowed thoughts about the UI to float around in my mind. Finally I realised the problem, for me at least.

It was the harshness of the black backgound color (or unused space on the screen). Certain colors are very comforting to the eye. For example, 18% gray is recognized by photographers. I am not sure what the best colors for the screen elements would be, but someone with knowledge of gray scale should be able to figure this out. Perhaps gray for the background (and buttons) and silver for the other areas.

Black is a stunning color. That is why black cars are so powerful and why women wear little black dresses (am i right, Miss Karen?) So black draws attention and focus. Why are we focusing on the background of the application, instead of the tasks and projects we are supposed to be working on?

I think de-emphasizing the background would make the application more pleasing to everyone. Those who are bothered by all the "wasted space" might not notice it as much. Those who want the buttons and fonts to stay large are right, at least for now. The information we are trying to focus simply can't compete with the harsh black background.

Can the background black be controlled by the user? If so, maybe some of you can try adjusting it to see if I am right. If not, OmniGroup should control this by filling the entire screen. This could be done without changing the sizes of the windows with data, but simply filling the rest of the area with a much lighter shade of gray.

Thanks for reading my lengthy suggestion. I will happily pay $40 for this application soon, but look forward to some changes to colors that will guide our eyes where they need to be...on our tasks and projects.

Thanks OmniGroup for the great product! I'm also grateful for the fantastic user community that helps each other with how to get maximum utility from OmniFocus.

John