The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Add to clippings Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way for Add to Clippings to include the URL when clipping content from Safari or Firefox? And more generally, could it provide a link to any source document? The date and time information are very useful, but a link or pointer to the source would be even more so, for me.

so why not Outliner? A clipping sent to OF carries the URL, if the clipping is from a web page.

This would make OO a much better research tool.

The OmniFocus Quick Entry feature is much newer and more powerful than OmniOutliner's clipping. Improving it is one of many things we want to do.

Having used OF, then moving onto OO, I find the two so similar that I often mess up and start using one rather than the other. Regardless, the text importing/clipping function in OF is outstanding and I think probably one of the reasons I end up using OF first. I see something and think "oh, I need this later" and I highlight it, then hit cntl-optn-spacebar, and then stay on task without worrying about forgetting something important.

The problem is OF is for "getting stuff done", OO (at least for me) is about "thinking things through". The bottom line is it would be tons easier to "think things through", especially when doing research, or laying out a presentation if there was a hotkey combo and functionality for importing stuff into OO like there is in OF.

No good dead goes unpunished I suppose.

Thanks,

Bryan

P.S. I realize this is probably not the place to post enhancement requests, but it seems to work.

So, are you saying you want an easy way to move something you've already clipped into OmniFocus over to OmniOutliner? Or are you asking for a clipping facility in OmniOutliner (which already exists, though is not as nice as the OF one)?

If we are talking about the former, how would you expect it to work? Select a row (or multiple rows) in OmniFocus, invoke the mechanism, what happens on the OmniOutliner end? Do those rows show up in the current default clipping file, as top level rows in the frontmost OO document, as rows at the current insertion point in the frontmost OO document, or what?

Any feature request you want noticed by Omni should also be sent in via Help->Send Feedback or email to <product>@omnigroup.com so that it gets in the development database. There isn't any guarantee that a forum post will be seen or acted upon, though they can be useful for building broader support for a request.