The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Relocating working file - breaking perspectives? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Since the first private betatest of OF, I've worked with my primary file relocated away from the "default" location (i.e., not in the Documents folder).

I've always liked to set up my own file structure, and to move working files away from the programs (for a variety of reasons including how I do daily backups).

This has been working for me until now, when I upgraded to 1.7.1. This release appeared to break perspectives for me (I cannot create any new perspectives and do not see my own created perspectives. Furthermore, I don't see any of the built in supplied perspectives except for "all items".

Dear OF guru's - please add back support for the use case when the working datafile is relocated to a custom user folder!!!!!!!

How are you moving your database file away from the canonical spot?

The database hasn't been stored in the Documents folder since 1.1 came out.

Probably early on, I moved the database file to where I want it to be, and then I double click on it to open.

I really get annoyed at developers that insist that they know better than I in terms of where to put my working data.

So, what about all the Apple apps that store their data in your Library folder, do you try to subvert their workings, too?

If you really don't want your stuff in the Library folder, you'd probably be better off putting in a symbolic link at the OmniFocus directory in Application Support to an OmniFocus directory in your desired location. That will produce a closer facsimile to the environment the software was written to expect, I think.

for ical and Address Book (as well as Mail), I set it up to sync via .mac

I suppose I could do this for OF as well, but so far I've not found it necessary.