The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pagico!? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So Pagico landed in my Inbox (the Mail variety) from MacZot today and I have to say it looks pretty cool...basically its a database which can store everything relating to a topic, and manage the links between those topics. This can include files, contacts, tasks etc. I particularly like the graphical Gantt chart-style to do list it can give you.

While I know this is a bit different to OF's objectives, I'm definitely contemplating it (with 50% off) because:
-Works on Windows as well
-Like the ongoing project management
-everything above

BUT: -it runs in a slightly odd 'Web 2.0' environment - i.e. everything is a dynamically generated web/AJAX page running inside a rudimentary browser. But it works...

Now I know this isn't what OF is designed for, BUT I Think the OG could learn things here - even though they have OmniPlan for larger project management - in terms of the dynamic, automatic linking etc. But it's not very GTD!!

Not really sure what I'm trying to say here, apart from to point out this other cool product that's making me go 'argh what do i do' when it comes up on special offer!

Any further thoughts!?

I know - I was just going to ask if anybody has used this.

Here is a link to a pdf about the software.
http://www.pagico.com/preview/pagico3.pdf

It LOOKS cool!

Don't have time to kick the tires on it right now though.

I was able to find the 52 page pdf manual by opening the package contents of the installer.

I will try to read through it as soon as I can...

Hi Luke,

With all due respect, there will be no end of apps that perform various functions that are related to what OmniFocus provides, and I just think that, at some point, you have to decide to fish or cut bait. For myself, I've played with a bunch of the apps that are vying for this same space (iGTD, Things, Midnight Inbox, Thinking Rock, and OmniFocus), and there are elements of all of them that I'd like to see in one single app. That's not going to happen, but perhaps more importantly, the key is to pick something that's good enough, and then leverage it to accomplish the things you'd really like to accomplish. I've settled on OmniFocus, and I firmly believe that making a choice and getting on with it is the most effective thing I can do.

sfkeydel

Agree that a single "does it all" GTD app is most unlikely, and there certainly is little point in constantly churning over your GTD tool kit.

That said, another data point is helpful for that GTD tool kit review, eh? I am probably only going to review GTD tools when I upgrade my notebook (like every other year), but it makes sense to have a tool kit review on some sort of schedule.

Last edited by yucca; 2008-03-18 at 11:35 AM..

My point in looking at this software was not to replace OF (as I am not really looking for something to replace OF), but rather to see if there were ideas here that could be implemented in future versions to enhance OF, or perhaps to act alongside OF (for support materials, etc).

It certainly looks like it has some neat ideas that are worth looking at.

my concern is with the apparent difficulties people are having removing it [per macupdate postings] other than that it sounds like a great reference to supplement OF with . the removal difficulties seem to center around an " abyss" web server that is installed with the app.

Last edited by ext555; 2008-03-18 at 06:32 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkeydel View Post
Hi Luke,

With all due respect, there will be no end of apps that perform various functions that are related to what OmniFocus provides, and I just think that, at some point, you have to decide to fish or cut bait. For myself, I've played with a bunch of the apps that are vying for this same space (iGTD, Things, Midnight Inbox, Thinking Rock, and OmniFocus), and there are elements of all of them that I'd like to see in one single app. That's not going to happen, but perhaps more importantly, the key is to pick something that's good enough, and then leverage it to accomplish the things you'd really like to accomplish. I've settled on OmniFocus, and I firmly believe that making a choice and getting on with it is the most effective thing I can do.

sfkeydel
"no end of apps" - how true! But, what about the need for project planning and managing thousands of resource documents and relationships among them, abilities which I believe are absent from OF?

Even OmniGroup appears to recognize that OF is not suited to that, until the underlying information about task/project goals and dependencies and appropriate scope and timing have already been figured out, ie., identified and evaluated, which OF is not meant to supprt; hence the frequency with which so many OF users rely also on OmniOutliner to really get things done.

So, therefore, what about project planning and related abilities? What about it when, by widespread consensus, OF is not made or meant for it?

Ignore for the moment the choice of a particular software package. Ignore the fact that related software packages seem to proliferate like mushrooms after the rain, further aggravating the difficulty of selecting a suitable one.

Instead: consider: What other types of functionality absent from OF are needed to get things done? Define the possible range of choices for complementary capabilities, not around what packages are out there, but around what key capabilities does OF lack that are required to get things done.

For example, suppose you've finally gotten through your inbox. I finally got through mine. Now I have three thousand five hundred tasks in OF.

Now what do I do? What capabilities will help me now, or would have helped me prior to entering those tasks, to be able to manage that volume?

Oh! Oops! I guess I had better not bring up the dreaded word, "priorities," because that has no place in the formal GTD canon.

Do you see the problem? Or at least one manifestation of it? I wonder what other cul-de-sacs other OF users have gotten themselves into? I'm sure there are others besides mine.

I have no plans to abandon OF and eagerly await version 2. But to find complementary capabilities, I am now evaluating Devonthink, YEP, Pagico, Scrivener and others. They have features to both OF and to each other but capabilities potentially complementary to OF.

Incidentally, I've been trying Quicksilver (if you can consider 10 minutes trying it). It is really incredible. I have concluded that it would be even more incredible if the plug-ins did not disappear and if the main application window for entering searches did not disappear. That is to say: it would be even more incredible if it actually worked. Well, I guess you get what you pay for :).