The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to make action groups/subactions on iPad? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I'm new to using OmniFocus and I'm having trouble with the structurization of my projects. I'm struggling with the use of folders and partially sequential actions.

For example:

I'm writing a major scientific paper where I can work parallel on many points.

Project: Practical uses of Doomsday Devices. (Sequential)
Action: Get book about the end of the world.
Action: Get book about peace.
Action: Write about the end of the world.
Action: Write about peace.

With this list, I can process topic by topic. But if I had both books at the same time, I could world variantly on both topics and finish "peace" before "end of the world".

Another example:

I'm refurbishing the kitchen. I've already bought paint and a new table, but I'm short of cash for the parquet.

Project: Kitchen
Action: Paint kitchen
Action: Build table
Action: Build chairs
Action: Buy parquet
Action: Get chairs & table out
Action: Lay parquet
Action: Get chairs & table in

I could start with any of the first 3, but the last 4 are sequential. How do I solve this problem? I wish I could define subactions for an action in a project. I like folders, but I'm somehow reluctant to a massive use of them.

I could create a folder "Kitchen" instead of a project. But I would have a lot of single step projects then.

Folder: Kitchen
Project: Build Table
Action: Build Table
Project: Build Chairs
Action: Build Chars
Project: Lay parquet
Action: Buy parquet
Action: Get room
Action: Lay parquet
Action: Move things back in

I'm using OmniFocus for my hobbies too. I'm collecting miniature barbies (Warhammer). Since I can't have subactions, I can't create a single army for each project. I'm working on different armies at the same time, each army has different units, which need to be worked on in different stadiums.

Is there any better way then using folders to organize subprojects?

Hi Chaos,

You can have sub-tasks. There are several ways to make them. The easiest is probably using tab and shift-tab to indent and outdent a task below another one. You'll then have an option in the parent task to toggle sequential and parallel functionality of the group.

So, for example, you could have the following:
-
Project: Kitchen (toggled to parallel)
  • Action: Paint kitchen
  • Action: Build table
  • Action: Build chairs
  • Group: Parquet (toggled to sequential)
  • Action: Buy parquet
  • Action: Get chairs & table out
  • Action: Lay parquet
  • Action: Get chairs & table in

To make the grouping, you could also multi-select "Buy parquet" through "Get chairs & table in" and type Option-Alt-L to group them together, then toggle.

Is this what you are referring to?

- Kourosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourosh View Post
Hi Chaos,

You can have sub-tasks. There are several ways to make them. The easiest is probably using tab and shift-tab to indent and outdent a task below another one. You'll then have an option in the parent task to toggle sequential and parallel functionality of the group.

So, for example, you could have the following:
-
Project: Kitchen (toggled to parallel)
  • Action: Paint kitchen
  • Action: Build table
  • Action: Build chairs
  • Group: Parquet (toggled to sequential)
  • Action: Buy parquet
  • Action: Get chairs & table out
  • Action: Lay parquet
  • Action: Get chairs & table in

To make the grouping, you could also multi-select "Buy parquet" through "Get chairs & table in" and type Option-Alt-L to group them together, then toggle.

Is this what you are referring to?

- Kourosh
yes it is, I completely forgot one important detail. I'm using the Ipad version ;-). I'm into GTD for years not, but always failed using a software solution... until the iPad version was released. I love it.

Is there a way to create subactions in the iPad version? Except for buying the Mac version and syncing.

Edit:Ok, I found out how I group actions with the iPad version, but I've got a new problem. I need to move actions into another action to create a set of subactions. But they are automatically sequential and I don't know how to make them paralellel.

e.g.:

Shopping -> Buy milk OR buy cheese OR buy steak.

and not:
Shopping -> Buy milk THEN buy cheese THEN buy steak.

Last edited by ChaosPhoenix; 2010-09-01 at 07:18 AM..

I actually haven't found a way to implement this on the iPad. It would be cool if they made it a toggle much like projects.

I think (but haven't verified) that it transfers the settings from your preferences of the laptop version and transfers the settings of individual groupings. In other words, if you generally create new lists with sequential or with parallel - you could select you preference from the preference menu in the computer version. This would then translate to the same settings whenever a new grouping is created in the iPad version if they are in sync. Groupings that are already in one form or the other maintain their specific parallel/sequential setting.

Again - I think this is how it works, but I don't know for certain.

I've experimented a bit with the trial version of OF for macs. If I set everything up on mac and sync it, it works. The iPad version can distinguish between parallel and sequential subactions.

But I can only set up parallel subactions on the iPad. Although I have a Macbook Pro, using it for GTD results in a failure for me. So I don't want to buy the mac version only for creating sequential subactions. If anyone can tell me how to do it on the iPad, it would be great.

For details on how you can set up parallel and sequential action groups to your heart's content on the iPad without the use of any other software, see my post here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...4691#post84691