The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Viewing completed actions with their dates completed? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
That's easy enough to test. Clicking the checkbox sets the completion date.
I guess I am just not seeing how this works. Where do I see these completed dates? For example, I tried adding a date column, but it doesn't show up there...

doug

You can see the completed date for an individual task in the Date Inspector. You can group and sort tasks by completion date in the context mode using the view bar. But there's presently no way to see the completion date displayed as a column in a table of tasks, as you can with the start and due dates.

I guess this one needs some more work. I can't get it to work consistently. I can see that if I go to the Date Inspector one-by-one with each task I can see the "changed" date.

But as I go through the different menus - context, then view then trying to sort by completed, things just slip and slide around, and I get different views, and nothing sticks and... it seems like it takes like a dozen clicks to get where I want to go and then I don't end up there when I do. And if a window closes you have to start all over.

So obviously this kind of view needs some more work, I think... It is very confusing and I still can't quite get it to work.

doug

Are you trying to sort by completion date in Planning mode or when grouped by something else? Projects in Planning mode and groupings in either mode take precedence.

Also, when you eventually do get the view that you want, save it as a perspective. Perspectives are a great way to avoid future fiddling.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
You can group actions by completion date, but (not yet) sort them within those groups by completion date. If you want to see actions you've marked complete today, yesterday, in the last week, in the last month, etc., switch to context mode, group (the {} view bar popup) by complete, and show completed actions.
The first time I did this, I got exactly two groups; "Within the last month" and "None". Not useful.

Then I switched from Project to Context view, and suddenly got the today/yesterday/within the last month groupings you mention. Useful. :-)

I'm not sure I understand why the grouping behaves differently in the different views, but at least I can mostly do what I want to do.

I would, however, like to be able to Export... the OmniFocus database and chew on it with a spreadsheet or database. That seems to me like it would be a reasonable way to augment OF's streamlined day-to-day features with some fancier reporting. Export doesn't seem to export completed dates, though I see on the Extras forum that there is at least one AppleScript that purports to do so. Perhaps this is another avenue for the original poster to get what he (and I) want.

The grouping adapts to the data available. It's likely you had a different list of actions showing in the Project and Context views. In project view, with no tasks completed today, there was no reason to show that group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The grouping adapts to the data available. It's likely you had a different list of actions showing in the Project and Context views. In project view, with no tasks completed today, there was no reason to show that group.
The same tasks were visible in both views.

On further examination, it appears that it groups by action completion date in Context mode, and project completion date in Project mode.