The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing lists of Next Actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know if there's a way to import a list of Next Actions, in a text file or from the clipboard, into the Inbox, perhaps using Applescript?

I know Omni will add an 'Import from Outliner file' before launch, but I would love to have something now.

If someone has the skill to create this, I would happily pay for this script, or will barter: I have a range of personal development products at my website (see my profile).

I'm happy if the script works in kGTD, say putting all the tasks in one project called Inbox: I would simply reimport my kGTD file as I have only been playing around with OmniFocus until now, waiting for an import from text file/clipboard facility.

Currently you can import kGTD documents made in Outliner. Is that what you're looking for? Just choose "Import from Kinkless" from the file menu.

I am waiting for the opposite-- I can't wait to be able to export a list of next actions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Currently you can import kGTD documents made in Outliner. Is that what you're looking for? Just choose "Import from Kinkless" from the file menu.
No, I'm fine importing my Kinkless list into OmniFocus. This is my issue: I have a simple text file of next actions which I'd love to import as well.

I also have an Outliner file consisting of a list of Someday Maybe projects with indented next actions under each project name (similar to kGTD format, but no contexts etc: just project names and next actions). I imagine this is also possible to import using an Applescript, but a little more complex than my first request.

Another way round it...

If you can think of a way to add this text into my kGTD document before I import this new expanded kGTD document into OmniFocus, that would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I am waiting for the opposite-- I can't wait to be able to export a list of next actions!
From OF you can simply go to contexts, then select next actions from the filter pulldown. That will list all of your next actions under their contexts. Choose the unsorted option to bunch them into one list.

Now all you have to do is print that list, scan it, OCR it and figure out a way to import it to a spreadsheet. Easy, no? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPayne
I have a simple text file of next actions which I'd love to import as well.
In today's build, you can copy and paste those actions directly into OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
In today's build, you can copy and paste those actions directly into OmniFocus.
Oh, so you can! Very nice.

Ken, thank you so much for this... but I don't know how to get it to work!!

I have a list of 10 items, one below the other in a text file, separated by carriage returns. I select all 10 and Copy. I go to OmniFocus... then what?

If I paste into QuickEntry, and press Enter, all 10 appear as one Inbox entry, not 10 separate ones, which is what I was expecting. The same if I start in the Inbox and select New task and paste.

Quote:
Ken, thank you so much for this... but I don't know how to get it to work!!

I have a list of 10 items, one below the other in a text file, separated by carriage returns. I select all 10 and Copy. I go to OmniFocus... then what?

If I paste into QuickEntry, and press Enter, all 10 appear as one Inbox entry, not 10 separate ones, which is what I was expecting. The same if I start in the Inbox and select New task and paste.
It looks like you can just select your list and drag it into the inbox. You will get the little arrow that shows you where the insertion point will be, then release. (build Revision: 87888)

Quote:
If you're editing a value, the text will be pasted into the value (as you saw). If you select the row (by clicking on its left edge or pressing the Escape key to leave editing mode), you can paste the text as individual rows.

(Or you can drag and drop, as jlindeman mentioned.)