The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternating between Bonjour and other sync methods? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I use Bonjour sync because I regularly find myself without Internet access (roughly every week for 1-2 days). It works well but sometimes is a bit "heavy" because I have to make sure that all my devices are on and communicate, e.g. before leaving for work, leaving for the week-end, etc.

I was wondering if there is a way that works well to use for example the Omni sync server, and then, when I don't have an Internet access, switch to Bonjour between my main laptop and ipod? Or is it too risky or would not work properly?

Thanks!

Julien

You can do this, but you have to have all of your devices synced before you switch, or you may lose some changes. When you do the switch, add a test action to one device and sync them all to make sure it appears everywhere.

It would be safer to simply take only one device when venturing into the internet-free wilderness...just make sure it has been synced before you leave so it has all the latest data.

Thanks for the advice, I will see if it can be "lighter" this way.

Unfortunately I "need" my two devices, specifically it is when I go to my cottage and while there I setup my laptop for work and music (so I can do, in particular, all my project reviews and/or get work done) and I use my ipod to do the follow up on outdoor tasks, go get groceries, to have with me on a walk, etc.

Not such a bad situation, but really the power to have OF always handy on the ipod is really worth too much to sacrifice (and I don't think I can do the reviews there, even if I wanted to! :) ).

Thanks again!

Julien