The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Project Linking ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to link different project files in order to share resource usage ?
or which is the best way to handle different projects in the same file ?

Nat

There isn't a way to share resources between separate files for leveling, etc.
The best option is to put all the projects in one file, making a separate top-level task group for each, with the tasks for that project under it.

(Note: you'll want to put your highest priority project at the top of the file, since leveling will try to give a little priority to it when trying to optimize the schedule.)

Thanks for the reply.. This is that i'm doing now and in this way i need an "hide option" in order to hide project-group when i print or export project timeline for a single customer.

Is there also a way to block tasks from auto leveling optimization ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat
Is there also a way to block tasks from auto leveling optimization ?
Have you tried locking the start and end date on the task?

I would imagine that would work but I'm too busy with OmniWeb to have even tried playing around with OmniPlan... :rolleyes:

Exporting to certain formats allows for filtering. Here's an example of how to only include tasks which aren't finished yet. Let us know if there are specific filtering options you'd like that we left out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniPlanScreenSnapz002.png
Views:	605
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	79  

I have done one task group for every customer with project opened. This allow me to handle correctly resource usage and timeline.
Right now i have two problems:
a) the auto level function does not care about project duration; in order to optimize tasks it move resource between them. The result is that you have a super-optimized time table with bug overall project duration
b) i found the filter options in the export but it does not allow to select groups

Thanks
nat