The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 'beeps' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello everyone,

I just discovered something strange. For about 2 weeks OS X makes mysterious noises when OmniWeb is running. It's like a short "beep" or "click" which repeats nearly every ten seconds. It only happens when OmniWeb is running. And it appears to come from the soundcard; it is gone when I turn down the volume.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Regards
Valentin

Have you tried closing all windows?

Oh dear. Thanks Forrest, there was in fact one window open in the background. And the noise came from the stupid flash page.

:-)

Yeah, I know the issue. I love when a background window (of which I have dozens and dozens) refreshes and suddenly I hear "Congratulations, you've been selected to win a new iPod."

That's why I wish OW would allow user to allow the playing of sound to be a site pref.

lol, worst are the ones with the flys you have to swat, so they buzz incessantly... *shudder* My personal solution to this issue is to block flash plugins (via enabling "Block images and other inline content: From blocked URLs" and then adding \.swf or something similar to your blacklist). Then the only things making noises at me are things I want to be making noises! ;)

I also block flash in general.

And the beauty of this is you can still load the necessary flash plugins (navigation etc.) by clicking on the blocked rectangle. Or setup a whitelist for certain sites to allow flash (like youtube).