The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync OF to two computers? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to sync one OF file to two computers, say a laptop and a desktop? If so, how is that done?

I am getting hooked on OF and will be purchasing at least one copy for my desktop. If it is possible to sync to my laptop, I'll get two.

thanks.

The Omni guys have laid what looks like some great groundwork for syncing in the future (as well as time machine support) because the data is all in XML and is very atomic and transaction based.

Someone with some time and XML skills could write a syncing program pretty easily, and I'm assuming Omnigroup has this in the plans for a later version (but not 1.0).

-P

FWIW, I've been dinking around with using ChronoSync for just this purpose. The *.ofocus file is a bundle filled with xml documents. You can swap individual xml files from document to document fairly successfully, but I'm not 100% sure what the structure of those xml files is, nor how each file relates to each project/context.

What DOES seem to work is to keep projects and contexts on computer A separated from projects on computer B, and keep the inbox clean on sync. (The inboxes can definitely overwrite one another) So you NEVER edit a computer a context/project/task on computer B and vise versa. Then the file-level sync works fine.

Soooo... after doing that for a bit, I realized that I could get the same effect with a lot less trouble by just storing each computer's stuff in its own OmniFocus document and just sync 'em from Mac to Mac. So I have a work.ofocus and a personal.ofocus document. I keep 'em both open, and NEVER edit the work doc on my personal Mac and vise versa. Simple, reliable, and not dangerous.