The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Toggle Status Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What on earth is toggle status? (in omnifocus)

I'm not sure what i pressed but a whole project disappeared.

I went to "edit" "undo" and it listed it as "undo toggle status"

sure enough when i clicked "undo" the project reappeared

1) what is the function of toggle status?
2) How did I activate it? (as it doesn't appear on any drop down menus)
3) where did it put the project?

thanks

I suspect the item's "status" is whether it's completed or not.

I think "toggle" here is a verb, not an adjective. You must have accidently toggled a project's status from not-complete to complete (i.e., marked it complete), and undoing changed it back to not-complete.

The item got checked off, in other words - it didn't really 'go' anywhere; it sounds like the option selected under View -> Status Filter is set to 'Remaining', 'Available', or 'Next Action'. If you select 'Any' or 'Completed', the item would reappear.

As to how it happened, it's likely that the checkbox was accidentally clicked, or that you hit the space bar while in row selection mode. (When a row is selected, but doesn't have a text edit cursor inside it.)

I like using the spacebar to check off actions, but I don't like the fact that it does the same for projects. Like the above poster, I've caught myself a couple times inadvertently marking a project complete by bumping the spacebar. Since they disappear immediately, I know I'm going to do it one of these days without noticing, and just like that, the project will have disappeared from my radar.

Is there a way to disable the toggle-project-status-on-spacebar feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh19 View Post
Is there a way to disable the toggle-project-status-on-spacebar feature?
Or maybe completed projects should hang around until clean up, just like actions behave.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Or maybe completed projects should hang around until clean up, just like actions behave.
That would be better from a consistency standpoint, and it would help with this problem somewhat, but I still would prefer to not use the spacebar to mark projects complete, since I could hit the spacebar and move to another view and not notice that it was marked. A better option might be to have a more complicated keystroke for marking actions as complete, one that could not be accidentally done. I think the best option is to allow the user to choose the keystroke (or turn it off altogether).

If I accidentally mark an action as complete, I should catch it in the weekly (or daily) review. But there is no such check for a project accidentally marked complete. I'm getting the feeling that users of OmniFocus need to add a "completed projects review" to their weekly review to catch these accidental spacebar hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh19 View Post
That would be better from a consistency standpoint, and it would help with this problem somewhat, but I still would prefer to not use the spacebar to mark projects complete, since I could hit the spacebar and move to another view and not notice that it was marked. A better option might be to have a more complicated keystroke for marking actions as complete, one that could not be accidentally done. I think the best option is to allow the user to choose the keystroke (or turn it off altogether).

If I accidentally mark an action as complete, I should catch it in the weekly (or daily) review. But there is no such check for a project accidentally marked complete. I'm getting the feeling that users of OmniFocus need to add a "completed projects review" to their weekly review to catch these accidental spacebar hits.
You can easily see what you might have accidentally completed, if you really find this to be an issue. Make a perspective showing completed projects, grouped by completed date, with only the Today grouping open.

This issue has come up at least once before, as I recall. I was surprised by it then, and I'm still a bit puzzled by it now. It seems like people should be accidentally completing projects in large numbers, no? Yet that doesn't seem to be happening. For my part, I find that I almost never actually click on a project name in the outline except to complete it or mark it reviewed.

I think part of the problem here, at least for me, is that I select a project and hit spacebar thinking it will make a new action...this behavior is probably due to my time spent working with Things (ducks head)

So yes, I find myself doing this quite a bit and wish there was a way to disable this keyboard shortcut.

Interesting... I didn't realize that was their new-item shortcut. I'll make a note of that in the dev database; if other folks are having trouble with this, they can email the support ninjas and let us know as well. Thanks!

(The number of folks requesting a given change is one of the metrics we use when planning our work.)