The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In-line PDF viewing on Intel? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry if this has been asked/addressed (I searched but didn't find anything).

Does anyone know a way to have OmniWeb (using 5.5b17 at present) present PDF files within the browser, instead of having them open in Preview?

I don't think the good old Shubert PDF viewer plugin exists (yet) in an Intel-compatible version, and I don't want to have to run OW in PowerPC mode thru Rosetta... defeats the purpose of nice, fast, Intel-native software.

OW 5.5 b17 really flies on my MacBook Pro, by the way.

You can get OmniWeb to display PDF files without any helper plug-ins by turning a hidden preference off.

Quit OmniWeb, open a terminal window and enter this:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

Now restart OmniWeb and PDFs should be displayed in the browser window! This feature is lacking some functionality at the moment but you shouldn't have any problem opening PDFs.

Thanks, Troyb that works fine, BUT:
Is there a way to zoom the displayed PDF? Safary has this in its context menu. For my purposes it would be sufficient to FIX the zoom at 120%, since I use the PDF inline viewing mainly for reading newspapers.

Like I said before, it's lacking some functionality, this is part of why we don't have it on by default. :)

Other useful actions like opening in preview are also missing.