The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

'Look Up In Dictionary' in ctrl+click menu Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I miss the 'Look Up In Dictionary' from the context menu shown by ctrl-clicking a selected word such as in for example Safari. I miss it in OmniWeb that is. It only concerns words selected in the rendered area from the html-source. Text input views such as forms and text views have the dictionary-feature built-in by default. The problem arise when reading stuff and every now and then have to look up a word in the dictionary. Sure there are the possibility to get it from the Service menu but that isn't fast enough for me.

The left-click menu is the best place, for a user such as myself, for that task. It really speeds up things in Safari for example. Even better would the extremely user friendly trick such as an alt-click (or substitute) on a word, as can be found in a few plugged-in apps I have seen. That's practically eliminating the distance between the user and the dictionary.

Perhaps this function could be optionally selected in OmniWebs Preferences? Internet and especially web surfing often involves reading a lot. For me who repeatedly stumbles upon unknown english words, being a foreign, it would make more sense to have 'Stop Animation' for example only visible when words were not selected. The menu should be smart enough to alter the options setup when a word is selected and when it is not. That is my opinion anyway. Alt-clicking a word wouldn't involve the menu-setup, but I would like to see both options implemented in OmniWeb. As I see it there would only be benefits to this solutions but I might have over looked something. You're work load for example ;)

Any thoughts?

Other threads on this too, eg. http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ght=dictionary

The short of it is you can select the word and hit command+control+d

Aha. That's great. I can't say it is obvious. But maybe I miss something that's right in front of me?

Seems to be a little known secret of all cocoa apps: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50429100017391

Actually I thought this was a default behaviour of all cocoa apps, so I am surprised that this doesn't work with OW.... Any chance we will see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
It does work in OmniWeb.
I was going to say the same thing but I think he means the right-click option.

I am unable to get the keyboard shortcut working in OmniWeb. Cmd-Ctrl-D works in Safari and other cocoa apps, but not OmniWeb, is there a default keyboard shortcut in OmniWeb that can be conflicting?

Cmd-ctrl-D is the default shortcut for Add to Bookmarks (without the dialogue appearing), so it must be conflicting with that... you probably now have a few bookmarks added that you don't need! ;)