The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Just trying out Omniweb... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm just trying out Omniweb and it's fast and I love the Tab Drawer, but apart from that it all seems very basic, more so than Safari or Firefox which are both free. I can't even import my bookmarks as far as I can see.

Some features also don't seem to work, though it's probably just that I don't know how to use them. For example, the Mark Page button which I added to the toolbar just sits there, clicking it does nothing. The Summarize button sounds fantastic and I'm familiar with the built in Mac summary feature, but the button does nothing whether some text is selected or not.

If anyone can advise on this I would very much appreciate it. At the moment, I don't feel it's worth paying $15 just for the Tab Drawer, everything else and more is free with the above mentioned browsers.

Last edited by ianonline; 2007-10-26 at 07:26 PM..

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/ has a good list of features.
- ad blocking - I like it more than Firefox's Adblock. Much more usable.
- workspaces - I use these all the time
- auto-saved browser sessions - great for picking up where you left off
- site preferences - I use these all the time as well

You can import your Safari bookmarks with the "Import Bookmarks" menu item in the "Bookmarks" menu.
Mark Page sticks sort of a temporary bookmark on a page. Once you "mark page" you'll notice that "Go to previous mark" becomes available in the History menu. This allows you to mark a page, perhaps something on Amazon you want to buy, then browse away to your credit card's website to check your balance. When you see you have enough funds, you can just hit "Go to previous mark" and it will go to that page you marked, no matter how many pages you visited in between. You can make multiple marks and then hop between them with the "Go to previous mark" and "Go to next mark".

Honestly, I'm not sure how Summarize is supposed to work -- OmniWeb isn't really my specialty.

There's a couple other threads on this forum with a similar topic, but I'll take a stab at 'Why pay for OmniWeb?' One feature I love about OmniWeb is Site-specific preferences. In the app-wide preferences (available in the File menu), I can turn off all third-party ads (and configure lots of other things). Then when I come to a particular website where third-party images are actually used as content, not just advertising, I can open the site preferences inspector for that site (in the toolbar) and turn on third-party images (or any of several other options) for just that site. That way my friend's blog with Flickr links shows up just fine, but when I visit other sites that try to deluge me with ads, they're blocked.

Any less-biased forum users care to chime in with why they paid for OmniWeb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post

Any less-biased forum users care to chime in with why they paid for OmniWeb?
Site preferences and zoomed text editing. Even with adjustable text windows in Safari 3 now, for longer passages of text input, I much prefer the pop out window. And even though SafariStand allows for site preferences, it can't hold a candle to OW.

Things that are important and useful to my browsing habits may not be so for you, however. But for my needs, OW is the best browser. Now, if only Zotero would work with it...

Trial OW and see if some of its features don't change your browsing habits or alter your surfing experience. For software used on a daily basis, $15 is not a lot of money.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your replies, it looks great so far and I think I might get the licenced version. Need to work out the Summarize thing first. Are there any themes available? The default does look a bit bland in my opinion, just solid gray in the background.

Before I register, I do want to sort out renaming bookmarks. I've found a number of my bookmarks are no longer valid. I think it's fantastic that it checks them automatically, but not so good if I can't edit the bookmark so it's points the correct address. Has anyone else had this problem? With the bookmark selected I opt to "edit label" or "edit address" but the after about one second it stops me from editing it.

Last edited by ianonline; 2007-10-27 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: I just found how to get notifications, so removed a line.