The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Page info doesn't display all linked resources Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
on this page: http://topstyles.net/milqu-10/ do a page info. It shows 2 images and like 3 flash files. However, the page has several CSS and JS files linked.

Strange, I see all the files. I have found the page info results to be inconsistent, even in 5.1.3. If you hit reload, do they display?

You're right. Reload shows them. Must be intermittent.

Page info, only tells you about resources that had to be fetched from the server--if they were cached, they won't show up. Hitting reload bypasses the cache so they all show up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
Page info, only tells you about resources that had to be fetched from the server--if they were cached, they won't show up. Hitting reload bypasses the cache so they all show up again.
Well, that certainly explains some of the confusion I've had :-).

But - what is the logic behind this behavior? There are three good reasons I can think of not to:

1) The folks using this feature are developers and others who are trying to pick apart the page for some reason. These folks want to see everything that's part of the page.

2) Even knowing about the reload trick, the utility is still killed because one does not always have the luxury of being able to reload the page and get the same result.

3) It's called Page Info, not Page Cache Info or something. Imagine the Finder not counting the parts of a bundle loaded into the disk cache in its disk size calculation in Get Info.

That said, I think it's extremely useful to see which parts were loaded from cache and which were fetched fresh. Perhaps a better approach would be to list everything, but include some sort of indication (like a small icon) to show the source of each resource.

In doing some investigation, I realize I was thinking of 5.1 (and 5.5 before it was rewritten). In 5.5 we use the WebResources from the WebDataSource--so the only thing I can think of is we aren't updating as the subresources load.