The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Suggestion: Make Perspectives more accessible Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Perspectives are great for creating situations where you are in multiple contexts simultaneously (Have access to Mac, Phone, and Boss at work; phone and Mac and spouse at home; phone and errands only when traveling, etc).

The issue is that the Perspectives interface is a little clunky for me. I can see that setting up a perspective might require more buttons and stuff, but switching to a perspective could be simpler. Here are two thoughts (not mutually exclusive).

You can have a folder in Contexts that holds perspectives, or you can assign some perspectives to appear in the Contexts holder (I'd still put it in a folder separate from the No Context and Contexts section, but still accessible).

An alternative is to have perspectives as a mode, along with planning and contexts. I suspect there may be more GTD methodological issues with this, but it's just a thought.

Did you know that you can put perspectives on the tool-bar? I think that might help your problem of being able to switch easily.
You can also assign shortcut keys to perspectives.

If you're a Quicksilver user, you can also add the folder containing Perspectives to your Quicksilver catalogue for easy access.

I am hopeful that the final release version will contain a series of pre-baked Perspectives, and also some very clear instructions on how best to use them and set them up.

I can see the benefit of perspectives, but the problems I have with them are:

1. The interface feels clunky.
2. I have limited success in reverting away from my perspective back to a 'normal' view of my data.

I agree that the perspective interface is awkward.

I was thinking that it would be useful for perspectives to be in the sidebar in their own section - ala smart items in many other programs. You could have the option of editing and building perspectives via a set of rules, or have an item in the 'gear' menu : "Save Current View as Perspective"

You could then use folders to organize your perspectives (though I'm not sure what selecting a folder should do - probably nothing). Any modification of the view bar while a perspective is selected would then deselect that perspective in the view bar.

-P