The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Typinator conflicts with Quick Entry box Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The Quick Entry box suggests values for Project and Context based on the keystrokes you enter, which is very nice.
However, as soon as I tab away to the next column, Typinator matches the keystrokes to an abbreviation and expands it. The QE box now doesn't recognize the value for Project (or Context) and leaves the field blank.

I can't disable Typinator for the QE box, as the QE box doesn't appear as an application. I can disable Typinator for OmniFocus, but that doesn't prevent it being triggered from the QE box.

Suggestions anyone?

I use Typinator 4.5 on OS X 10.7.5, Omnifocus 1.10.3

I've never used Typinator, and perhaps I wouldn't need to ask this question if I had: are you saying no matter what you type, pressing Tab causes Typinator to do an abbreviation, or is it simply that you happen to have Typinator abbreviations which happen to match the key sequences that are most convenient for some of your projects? If the latter, I'll point out that OmniFocus will match in many different ways, not just against the first characters of a word, so you can probably come up with different "abbreviations" for those projects which might even be more efficient than what you are typing now. Using some of the less frequently used letters appearing in the names instead of ETAOINRSH is often a good approach, and you may only need one or two to disambiguate from your Typinator abbreviations or other similarly named projects/contexts.

Because (as you noticed) OmniFocus usually doesn't appear to be the active application when the Quick Entry window is in use, I'm not optimistic there is a reliable code solution to be had from either vendor. If it turns out otherwise, I'd be interested to hear about it!

It's the latter (Typinator abbreviations which happen to match the key sequences for project/context names).
Your suggestion is indeed a practical solution, but I'm still hoping there'll be some other way to prevent this from happening.

My update on "trust, but verify":

"Hope, but cope" :-)

The best option is to precede any typinator expansion with a symbol -- I use a slash, though there are many options, such as tilde and so forth. In typinator you can set a whole group of expansions to use the same prefix, so you don't need to change them all by hand. That means that you can type normally, but when you want to invoke an expansion you start by typing the symbol.

HTH.

Martin.