The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating Tasks... Don't want it to show until start date. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

Forgive me if I'm asking the obvious here... I'm a newbie.

I've got a task that repeats every two weeks, but I can't start it until two weeks after I finished it the previous time...

So, I don't want it to show up in my list until it's time to do it again. However, whenever I mark it as "completed", it instantly adds a new one to my list...

Is there any way to make it stop doing that, and only add it once it's time to start it?

I tried grouping the tasks by "start".... I would be happy if I could just have upcoming tasks appear in a separate grouping. However, the task still appears in "Start any time" even though it's start date isn't for two more weeks. Is that a bug, or am I just missing something?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Can you take a screen shot showing the start date of the item. If the item truly has a start date in the future, then it shouldn't show up under start anytime. And if you don't want to see it at all, just show Available or Next actions, rather than Remaining actions.

It sounds to me like you haven't actually set a start date value for the item.

Curt

I've attached a screenshot of the app. Notice that the Feed Worms task (Yes, I know, we're weird... we've got a worm composter) doesn't start until Dec. 25th (today is the 12th), but it still shows up under "Start Any Time".

Just so you know, that Feed Worms instance was actually automatically generated by the repeating task... I created it yesterday, and fed the worms yesterday, so I marked it as completed, and the new one was generated.

I admit it would be handy to see upcoming tasks, but it would be great if they showed up in another section farther down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_69.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	818  

It's almost impossible to see the tiny screenshot (I like to use http://imageshack.us to get bigger pictures, inline) but I can see it just well enough to see that you are viewing in Project/Planning mode, not Context mode. If you view your actions in Context mode, you should be happier, because that will shuffle the actions into the appropriate groups, whereas project view only does it by the project, not the action, and this project can start any time.

I made what I think is a rough replica of your project to illustrate:

Now view in Context mode, remaining actions, sorted into appropriate groups:

Context mode, available actions: (feeding the worms, with start date in the future, does not appear)

In general, the idea is that you do your planning work in the planning/project view, and actually select items to do in the context view. You can certainly work out of planning/project view, and I used to do that quite a bit, but the tool usually works better the other way.

Thank you. That's very helpful.