The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: On average, how many times per day do you have to restart OW?
Less than once per day 14 56.00%
1-3 times per day 8 32.00%
4-8 times per day 2 8.00%
8+ times per day 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

How many times per day do you have to restart OW? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm curious how often (on a per-day average) 5.5b4 users have to restart OW. This includes:
- Crashes
- Force-quits (though if you have to force quit after a crash, that only counts as one)
- Restarting due to slowness or similar issue
- Launching OW at all - including having quit it before and starting it up again. (Anything after the first time you've started it.)

Also, if OW crashes, and then continues to crash on relaunch, just count that as one crash total.

Last edited by Forrest; 2006-08-29 at 03:47 PM..

8+ times a day due to CPU hogging. Crashes or force-quits are very, very, very rare for me these days.

As a general estimate, lately I get 0-2 crashes a day, and relaunch OW manually once or twice a day because it has accumulated 300+ MB of actual memory usage (even with all windows closed).

I don't use workspaces, because I found those made the memory usage problem a lot worse (and generally my browsing habits just aren't predictable and consistent enough for workspaces to be all that useful).

Are you on Intel? On my PB G4 CPU usage is quite good. Once put into the background, CPU use drops to zero. And using the browser it never tops like 15-20%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
As a general estimate, lately I get 0-2 crashes a day, and relaunch OW manually once or twice a day because it has accumulated 300+ MB of actual memory usage (even with all windows closed).
I get memory hogging, too, but mine is rarely much more than 100 Mb. My CPU usage rarely seems to be below 10% also, even if no windows are open.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Are you on Intel? On my PB G4 CPU usage is quite good. Once put into the background, CPU use drops to zero. And using the browser it never tops like 15-20%.
The CPU hogging issues happen to me too on several PPC machines. The best we can tell it's related to JavaScript that continues running.

I have a 15" 1GHz PB and OW quickly reaches 280MB of RAM, though no CPU hogging.
The only two annoying things are it takes 1-2 seconds to open a new tab and about 1 second from when I start typing in the address bar to when it actually displays what I'm typing, then it's in real time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele
I have a 15" 1GHz PB and OW quickly reaches 280MB of RAM, though no CPU hogging.
The only two annoying things are it takes 1-2 seconds to open a new tab and about 1 second from when I start typing in the address bar to when it actually displays what I'm typing, then it's in real time.
Does that problem go away if you restart OW?

I never had to restart b4 by now, but that's because my Mac is at home and I only use it in the evening—starting it and then closing it only a few hours later. Additionally, I dn't frequent many different websites, with few exceptions there are only five or six of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
I never had to restart b4 by now, but that's because my Mac is at home and I only use it in the evening—starting it and then closing it only a few hours later. Additionally, I dn't frequent many different websites, with few exceptions there are only five or six of them.
After closing it, how do you get it going again without restarting it? ;)