The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resources Management & Evaluation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, Currently testing trial and have plenty of questions. But the first two are about resource management.

1-I need to manage many projects, and my resources are shared among multiple projects. I need to schedule everything considering those resources might be taken by other projects.

So... Should I put all projects in the same file? Or is there a way to link all projects together?

2-Concerning evaluation of the project. I would need to know my cost AND how much I should charge to the client. I can setup the cost of a resource, but where can I assign a charge for it? And by the way I don't charge my clients the same prices for each of my resources.

So how should I deal with this?

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druka White View Post
Hi, Currently testing trial and have plenty of questions. But the first two are about resource management.

1-I need to manage many projects, and my resources are shared among multiple projects. I need to schedule everything considering those resources might be taken by other projects.

So... Should I put all projects in the same file? Or is there a way to link all projects together?

2-Concerning evaluation of the project. I would need to know my cost AND how much I should charge to the client. I can setup the cost of a resource, but where can I assign a charge for it? And by the way I don't charge my clients the same prices for each of my resources.

So how should I deal with this?

thank you
1-The easiest way to do this is to create a group for each project in the same file, then list all the tasks as sub-tasks. This allows you to share the same resource pool in one OmniPlan file. There is no way to link multiple project files with OmniPlan currently, but it is a feature request.

2-We don't have a set column for client costs, another feature request in development database. You can create a custom column by going to the Task : Custom Data inspector and adding a new column named "Client Cost", but there are limitations to this because the value in the custom column won't automatically calculate or total like the Cost column does.

Count me as another vote for resource pooling. I just bought omniplan and was a bit disappointed that pooling isn't an option. Nonetheless, the software as a whole, is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
Count me as another vote for resource pooling. I just bought omniplan and was a bit disappointed that pooling isn't an option. Nonetheless, the software as a whole, is fantastic.
Vote added!