The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Tabs like Safari option Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can we at least have this as an option, I'd rather use OmniWeb but I wish I could have some normal tabs instead of a drawer that opens and gets in the way half the time. At least add it as an option and you can leave the drawer as default.

You may want to search the forum a bit. So far half of your four posts have been discussed in other threads (and I've only read two of your posts.)

first: i think many people just don't have the time to search the forums everytime they make a post. i think most of us just want to make some suggestion on omniweb (or other omni products). i think it doesn't matter if we do that as new post or sub-post in an existing thread.
people may pay more attention to a suggestion if it is a new thread.
so please stop to permanently criticize other people.

second: personally i really like omniweb's tabs. i don't like the tabs that safari uses. but maybe an option to switch from omniweb's tabs to safari-like tabs would make everyone happy.

Last edited by andreas_g; 2006-07-24 at 02:16 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas_g
first: i think many people just don't have the time to search the forums everytime they make a post.
I moderate several large forums as well as participate in many others. Some boards will ban people for this. Overall it's bad forum etiquette... but that doesn't really bother me (nor is it why I usually point out existing threads.)

Quote:
i think most of us just want to make some suggestion on omniweb (or other omni products). i think it doesn't matter if we do that as new post or sub-post in an existing thread.
If the purpose is to just provide feedback and not start or continue a discussion on the subject, there is the feedback option within OW that does just that. In forums that have "float to top" enabled, it is considered respectful to continue discussions on a specific topic in an existing thread (if there is one.)

Quote:
people may pay more attention to a suggestion if it is a new thread.
In most forums that is not the case. And judging by results here, that is also not the case.

Quote:
so please stop to permanently criticize other people.
I have never told anyone what they must or must not do. I have no authority here, nor do you.

The main reason I post mentioning or linking to existing threads on a subject, is that it becomes a huge problem over time. For example, if people continue in the threads that contained a response from the OG that thread is much more valuable than additional threads stating the same question but not having the OG answer.

This also becomes an issue when searching the forum. If there are a pile of threads talking about "tabs like safari" but only one of the many has any good details, then people who are searching the forum will have a tough time.

Additionally, I assume the poster is thoughtful and curious. I assume they might want more information on the subject or want to read what others have to say about it. So I post with that assumption. So if anyone was just posting because they don't really care what others say, nor do they want to look for an answer or existing thread, nor do they respect others' time and effort on this forum... and they get upset because of my post, I don't really care.

I really appreciate Forrest's efforts to point new people to old discussions where often their questions are already answered. It saves me time from answering the same old queries to answering new ones and getting more work done on OmniWeb.

I do see that it starts to cause him to sound like a broken record, and I am sorry for that, but it saves me from sounding like one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas_g
second: personally i really like omniweb's tabs. i don't like the tabs that safari uses. but maybe an option to switch from omniweb's tabs to safari-like tabs would make everyone happy.
Just in case you don't know this already. It IS possible to use the outer border of the drawer to resize the drawer to make it less obtrusive. I don't like the default size of the drawer, either.

Also, you can also tell OW to NOT display graphics in the tabs, thus making the tab drawer even less obtrusive.

P