The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Switching from Safari to Omniweb, I have a couple of questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just switched from Safari, mainly because Safari crashes far too often to my liking, but there are a few things in Safari that I prefer over OW, and I was wondering if there is anything I can do about these.

1: Having RSS work like in Safari, since I really loved it.
2: Brushed Metal. I know most people don't like it, but I do, and I was wondering if there was a way of enabling it in OW.
3: Why can I only have bookmarks get checked for changes every day? I have engadget and such as bookmarks in the bookmark bar, and they update on average every 10 minutes...

Any help is appreciated :)
 
1. The only other program that has RSS like Safari is Internet Explorer 7. OmniWeb doesn't do true RSS displaying, but it does keep track of the feeds and tell you when they're updated. Also, and as I've been told here, Atom feeds have never worked.

2. There's always ShapeShifter.

3. In the default settings, you probably have the bookmarks set to check every day. You can set this to every day, hour, or week. You can set this by going through the options on the bookmarks you want to update.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucedes
1: Having RSS work like in Safari, since I really loved it.
RSS support in OW is terribly outdated and limited. I strongly recommend a stand-alone reader, such as NewsFire or NetNewsWire. Fortunately, the most recent OW release allows you to specify an external reader to handle feeds.
 
For RSS, configure for an external reader, and I personally would recommend Vienna for an external reader.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazokajoe_2k
For RSS, configure for an external reader, and I personally would recommend Vienna for an external reader.
Agreed...Vienna works quite well
Peace,
Stuart
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucedes
2: Brushed Metal. I know most people don't like it, but I do, and I was wondering if there was a way of enabling it in OW.
Actually you don't need Shapeshifter for this. There's a free haxie from Unsanity itself that allow users to change from aqua to brushed metal in almost any Cocoa application. If you don't mind installing haxies on your Mac, and if your Mac is PPC (doesn't work on Intel), here's the link:

http://unsanity.com/haxies/metallifizer/
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray49
Agreed...Vienna works quite well
Peace,
Stuart
If you're willing to pay for outstanding software (most on this forum are, I believe), at least give NetNewsWire a try. If you demo a sneaky peek of Version 3, it's quite amazing. I've used Vienna (though quite some time ago) Postino, NewsFire, and a couple others. But nothing comes remotely close to NNW. Although Brett issues serious warnings about using NNW 3 sneaky peek at your own risk, I've only had a couple crashes in the past month of use. Version 2 is excellent as well. The URL below is for the sneaky peek:

http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/beta.php
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustomela
Actually you don't need Shapeshifter for this. There's a free haxie from Unsanity itself that allow users to change from aqua to brushed metal in almost any Cocoa application. If you don't mind installing haxies on your Mac, and if your Mac is PPC (doesn't work on Intel), here's the link:

http://unsanity.com/haxies/metallifizer/
Hmm after APE went Universal, it must be trivial to convert it to Universal especially after they managed to make Shapeshifter giant Intel compatible.

As far as I know them (got lots of licensed apps), they just need a polite request to make it so.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz
Hmm after APE went Universal, it must be trivial to convert it to Universal especially after they managed to make Shapeshifter giant Intel compatible.
I guess that Metallifizer just doesn't meet much interest by now :)
 
I think it's also worth mentioning that if you're planning on upgrading to OS X 10.5 in a couple months, you may want to hold off on paying for an RSS feeder. They are incorporating RSS support into Mail.

I'm holding off on paying for any more advanced features to see how well the RSS support stands, since I plan on upgrading anyways.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple of noob questions! :) Chris777uk OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2011-02-08 12:55 PM
Couple of questions- iCal and task dates exmonkey OmniPlan General 1 2009-12-17 07:32 AM
Couple questions jim lee OmniPlan General 2 2008-11-23 10:19 AM
A couple of basic questions cheska99 OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-09-05 04:29 AM
A couple of Safari-Stand requests Handycam OmniWeb Feature Requests 3 2006-10-30 11:03 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.