The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

I think that I have found it! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think, or at least I hope that I have found it!

I have searched for over the last couple of years for a good to-do application. I used Toodledo online, and it worked pretty good. I have used Toodledo's own IPhone app, which wasn't bad. I used pocket informant on the Iphone. I used to use it on Windows Mobile 2002 back when I used the Ipaq. It worked pretty well, but at the time had no support for sub-tasks. I used Appigo ToDo, which wasn't bad either. I liked the simplicity of the interface, but It just seemed to be missing something. Sometime in the fray here, I bought a Macbook Pro.

Informant began supporting sub-tasks, so I gave it another try. It wasn't bad if you used the today list to help organize tasks. It still did not give me what I needed in terms of task and project management. The calendar is still great.

I spent a whole day re-organizing my projects and tasks in Toodledo, and then synced it to informant. It just wasn't right... nothing looked right.

I got a two week trial to Omnifocus, and didn't really have time to get into the program. I emailed them asking for another two weeks, which they gave me. I started making another effort to learn and use Omnifocus. Keep in mind this was about the same time as I was learning a completely new software package at work. I guess I like a challenge.

I started out slowly, inputting a couple of tasks, and watching how they behaved. The learning curve is pretty steep. I kept working at my system, and it kept making more and more sense.

I invested in the IPhone app, as that would be a pretty integral part of my system. At first, that app is a bit complex, especially when you start nesting projects and folders, but it does work very well. I use Windows at work, so I can't use OF for the Mac there unless I bring my Macbook Pro with me.

Tomorrow my two week trial ends. I purchased Omnifocus for the Mac today.

It is difficult to fully explain why I like this program so much, except to say that it just works. Like so many other pieces of software and processes on my Mac, it just works and works cleanly!

I use many of the principals of GTD, although I am not a die hard adherent. With the others (informant and Toodledo) you have priorities and tags. I never found myself doing tags, as they seemed more confusing in that there was more information that had to be entered when you set up a task. I can put tags in the notes if I need to, and search as appropriate. I don't have to do this often. Low, Medium, and High priority? If it is on my list, it is worth doing! I can use flags if I need to give something a higher standing, such as a "do today" list, but I find the due dates work pretty well for that.

I like the nested contexts, and the ability to put contexts or projects on hold. Sequential projects and task groupings are great as well. It hides all of the other things that you don't need to be doing right then. Also, being able to type a few letters of the context to search is great for when you have multiple contexts.

Location based contexts? Excellent! I use it when I am at work in the office or at home. I also use the perspectives to build custom reviews of different areas.

Keep in mind, I have only been using this for about two weeks! I can just about imagine what I will learn as I move on!

If you are on the fence about buying this awesome product, don't hesitate! Just buy it, and put the time into really learning how to use it! You won't regret it!

Awesome story - thanks for sharing, and thanks for choosing OmniFocus!