The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I understand your frustration with the price, I initially felt the same way. But after spending about the same amount trying the alternatives, I am a loyal Omnifocus for the iPad user.

I liken Omnifocus for the iPad to a fine automobile. Sure, many of the alternative applications can get you from point A to B, but not in the same style and comfort as Omnifocus. And, if you want to be tired, frustrated and just plain worn out at the end of your journey, then pick one of the other GTD apps.

I don't own a Mercedes, but I have enjoyed riding in one... where else can you buy one for $40.

I think the only reason why $40 seems too expensive is due to the average app being under $10.

I haven't bought the iPad version, but I have bought the Mac and iPod version. I actually bought an iPod specifically for OmniFocus, and 'aquired' a macbook and converted to a dual mac/pc person specifically due to OmniFocus. I don't have an iPad and I don't plan on getting one in the near future, but if/when I do, it will likely be *for* omnifocus. With that in mind, the price is quite acceptable.

The only problems I have with the pricing are the specific parts of the GTD model that are missing from OF. As long as upgrades that add these features (such as on hold for actions and/or multiple context) don't require me to fork out $ for an upgrade then I think the pricing is fair.

I will never understand why people think criticism of pricing means that a person doesn't believe producers can charge whatever they want, that they are against capitalism, and aren't "taking responsibility for their financial condition."

Let's not jump to so many conclusions all at once, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I will never understand why people think criticism of pricing means that a person doesn't believe producers can charge whatever they want, that they are against capitalism, and aren't "taking responsibility for their financial condition."

Let's not jump to so many conclusions all at once, please.
Some people write as if they think that. Virtually all of the people complain assert it as a fact that their own ideas about pricing are more accurate than OmniGroup's.

I agree. $40 is too much. I own Mac and iPhone OF - seems way out of line to pay 2x the iPhone version. Owners of Mac version should pay less than standalone users. It just feels greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamusmacd View Post
I agree. $40 is too much. I own Mac and iPhone OF - seems way out of line to pay 2x the iPhone version. Owners of Mac version should pay less than standalone users. It just feels greedy.
It's a considerably more powerful program than the iPhone version, why shouldn't it cost more? As for bundle pricing, the App Store model makes that difficult; Apple does not identify the customers to the vendor (hard to give a discount on a subsequent Mac purchase), and doesn't allow different customers to pay different prices (hard to give a discount on a subsequent iPad/iPhone purchase).

It's a good piece of software, and if you're an active user of OmniFocus and use your iPad frequently, I think you would find yourself unwilling to give it up after a week or two. They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee on the purchase: http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/30_day_guarantee/

I didn't read through all (presently) 27 pages of this thread, but I agree that another $40 for the ipad version feels staggeringly expensive. I was expecting something in the $5-$7 range.

I agree with those who think they'd make more money selling more lower-priced copies, and engender more goodwill.

I think what actually stings more than the price, though, is that there's no "loyalty" reward for OF. I've been an OF user since the pre-beta days, and bought the ipod edition too as soon as it was available. I don't see why, if the price has to be $40 for the ipad version, it couldn't be $10 off if you own the desktop or ipod version, and $20 off if you own both. It would still be a lot, but it would reward loyalty and make longtime users feel more valued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinberg View Post
I didn't read through all (presently) 27 pages of this thread [...]

I think what actually stings more than the price, though, is that there's no "loyalty" reward for OF. I've been an OF user since the pre-beta days, and bought the ipod edition too as soon as it was available. I don't see why, if the price has to be $40 for the ipad version, it couldn't be $10 off if you own the desktop or ipod version, and $20 off if you own both. It would still be a lot, but it would reward loyalty and make longtime users feel more valued.
As was mentioned in the post immediately before yours, Apple does not allow variable pricing of App Store apps, and does not identify the purchasers to the vendor. Omni could provide a discount on purchases through its own store, but that would only help those who bought the iOS version first. Expecting them to mail out discount checks to thousands of customers seems a bit unrealistic, doesn't it? Not sure how much of a discount would be left if they deducted the cost of processing!

When you buy an Omni product soon after its initial release, you are essentially buying a software annuity. Major releases are years apart, and they deliver bug fixes and new features pretty much right until the next major version ships. Your $40 is going to be paying for development of OF for iPad for a long time. That's what makes this long-term customer feel valued—the vendor keeps improving the software and doesn't ask for a handout each time! If you don't see the value in the proposition, you can get a refund if you're within 30 days of purchase: http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/30_day_guarantee/

What sort of discount did you get from Apple on the iPad for your loyalty? :-)

I think Apple is trying to change the way we think about software upgrades here.

Have you ever noticed that every new edition of Mac OS X, iLife, and iWorks never had an upgrade price? Every new edition of Mac OS X, iLife, and iWorks never had an "upgrade" price. We always paid the full price of a new box.

The Mac App store and the iTunes store doesn't offer an upgrade price for their apps either. I don't expect to get an upgrade price for Angry Birds HD or Angry Birds Seasons just because I already have the first Angry Birds.

Omni doesn't have control of the iTunes app store policies. Only Apple has that final authority.

The app stores don't have any mechanism in place that will allow us the capability of getting loyalty rewards.

OmniFocus may not be worth $40 to some folks because they don't really use it. The app is worthless at that point.

My cordless drill would not be worth the $200.00 I paid for it at my local hardware store unless I actually used it.

Some folks are happy with iPhoto because that's all their photo management requirement needs. That's where some of the other competitor's offering can help ala Things, Toodledoo, and a few others.

But some of us need something more. So we upgraded to Aperture with its steep $199 price tag. I got every bit of my $199 back with the amount of time I saved using Aperture.

I also got every penny back from OmniFocus for Mac, iPad, and iPhone.

The Omni Group must be going after a certain clientele. I am a faculty member at a liberal arts college with a family. I have OF for my Mac and my iPod touch (I can't afford cellphone data plans so I have no iPhone). I probably shouldn't have bought both of these given my finances, but I do find them useful.

That said, when colleagues ask me about this cool software I have they initially are interested. Then, when they hear the price, they completely get turned off and think I must be insane.

So I agree with all of those who say the prices are probably cutting Omni Group out of some customers. If I were them, I would hire a business consultant to see if lowering the prices could indeed net enough of a gain in customers to be worth the difference. Many of us could be wrong about that on this forum, but my gut tells me we aren't.