The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View only Projects/Actions with Start Date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
After much experimentation and gleaning advice from this forum, I have arrived at a system where I use Start Date to prioritise current Actions. I put Start Dates in current Projects rather than laboriously enter Start Dates in each Action of those Projects. However, I enter Start Dates in individual Actions within Single-Action Lists that I want to make current. I use Due Date only when there is a fixed date relating to an event or deadline.
This method has been working fairly well within the Perspectives I have created with one major draw-back... I find myself often collapsing the "Start any time" group to get rid of Actions without Start Dates.

Does anyone know of a way to create Perspectives that exclude Projects and/or Actions that do not have Start Dates?

It would be great if the "Show Actions with Status" filter had a "Start Soon" function similar to "Due Soon" with the number of days variable entered in Prefs. Also, in the Perspectives inspector, I'd like to see check boxes for "Show/Hide Projects/Actions without Start Dates" and another for Due Dates, similar to the "Also restore settings for other mode" checkbox.

Any work arounds?
tia

If you take a snapshot of the perspective with the Start Any Time group collapsed, OF should remember to leave it collapse when returning to that perspective.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
If you take a snapshot of the perspective with the Start Any Time group collapsed, OF should remember to leave it collapse when returning to that perspective.
Thanks Curt, I've tried that, but then I have to manually change Focus to include the Actions with Start Dates that are contained within Single-Action Lists. They are nested within the "Start any time" group because the actual List does not have a Start Date. To give the List a Start Date would result in all the Actions contained within that List to be grouped within a specific Start Date group, whether they have Start Dates or not. Do you see my dilemma?
And the problem with saving a manual focus within the Perspective is that it makes data within that Perspective fixed rather than Dynamic as the status of data is changed or new data added.

I see, you must be trying to do this from Planning Mode rather than Context Mode. I don't see a ready solution to that, other than the feature that you proposed.

Curt