The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ow 5.6 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any word on Omniweb 5.6's release date? Any sneaky peeks planned?

Payam

Thought I was the only one checking for updates everyday :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasko
Thought I was the only one checking for updates everyday :)
In fact daily application update checking is way to go. Omni update framework offers it. How much bandwidth it would waste(!) anyway?

I can guess the reason Omni keeps it "weekly" by default and I agree with it btw.

(The screenshot of where to set it, ignore shapeshifter theme)

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2007-03-19 at 05:16 AM..

Can someone speak about new things expected in OW 5.6 ?

New webkit, does better with JS and garbage collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
New webkit, does better with JS and garbage collection.
Any plan to upgrade autofill? This is a weak-point of 5.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshalperin
Not that I've seen. Things will change because the new WebKit works much differently than the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshalperin
Indeed. OmniWeb's AutoFill has never worked properly. It barely works at all. Safari's works perfectly, and I wish Omni would figure out how to just copy it. OW's is completely useless.

The current version (5.5.4) suffers from extremely poor performance, very often, as well. It renders HTML quickly enough under normal circumstances, but the app just gets slower and slower, the longer you leave it open, eating more and more memory (much of which never gets freed up until you quit the app) until you find yourself yelling in frustration. If it's been open for awhile and I haven't used it in the last 30 minutes or so, I've had to wait literally up to 5 minutes while the enormous VM chunks page back in before the browser becomes usable again. It's actually faster to just force quit it and start it up again.

Still getting crashes here and there too, though thankfully not that many lately. I wish Omni would get rid of that stupid crash catcher; it just adds another 15-20 seconds of delay and frustration when it could simply die and let me launch it again. I'm getting really sick of seeing that idiotic nonsense about the "hee-whackity" everytime that happens too.

It's a sad state of affairs and I hope things improve soon. OW is one of the biggest pains in my ass in the course of a normal day, these days.

Last edited by Stormchild; 2007-03-29 at 12:54 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
Still getting crashes here and there too, though thankfully not that many lately. I wish Omni would get rid of that stupid crash catcher; it just adds another 15-20 seconds of delay and frustration when it could simply die and let me launch it again. I'm getting really sick of seeing that idiotic nonsense about the "hee-whackity" everytime that happens too.
The best way to reduce how often you see CrashCatcher is to send us those crash reports, with detailed steps of what you were doing right before the crash occured.

CrashCatcher is a powerful tool for us to find out about the crashes users are experiencing. If Omni apps just died, without giving users an opportunity to tell us about the crash, there'd be a lot more crashes still in the apps. So you might spend 3 seconds relaunching instead of 20 seconds. But if OW crashes more often, you'll be spending that 3 seconds over and over and over again.

Sure, we could choose more professional text for the CrashCatcher, but then I, for one, would feel one step closer to the big, drab, boring mega-corporations. For some people, the nonsense text helps diffuse the frustration.

If you want to change that text, there's a text file you can edit: OmniWeb.app/Contents/Resources/OmniGroupCrashCatcher.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
snip...snip... I wish Omni would get rid of that stupid crash catcher; it just adds another 15-20 seconds of delay and frustration when it could simply die and let me launch it again. snip..snip...
I, on the other hand, am delighted to know that OMNI cares enough about quality control and post marketing surveillance to do this, and that OW is capable of collecting and send information (relatively) automagically.

I am not as good as I should be about providing detailed information.

Peter