The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tabs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any chance for normal tabs. The thumbnails are cute and all, but waste considerable horizontal screen space.

I've seen a couple posts here and there saying you can remove the thumbnails, etc.. however it still doesn't change that even in list view with 10 or more tabs open.. you have a giant white box of wasted space on the side of your browser.

Last edited by precision; 2007-09-25 at 01:47 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision View Post
Any chance for normal tabs. The thumbnails are cute and all, but waste considerable horizontal screen space.

I've seen a couple posts here and there saying you can remove the thumbnails, etc.. however it still doesn't change that even in list view with 10 or more tabs open.. you have a giant white box of wasted space on the side of your browser.
This has been brought up every couple weeks for the last several years. Omni has no interest in listening to its users on this issue.

I apologize if it seems like we haven't been listening! We certainly have, but we haven't been making any UI changes because we've been working on engine updates throughout the 5.x development sequence. (We try to minimize changes to our UI within a single major version of the software, as a rule.)

We will (of course) be making UI changes in OmniWeb 6, and as we do that we'll consider and explore some alternate layouts for our tabs.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2007-10-25 at 03:44 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsw View Post
This has been brought up every couple weeks for the last several years. Omni has no interest in listening to its users on this issue.
"last several years" is an extreme exaggeration... not even going to mention "every couple weeks." OW has barely had tabs for "several years." Prior to this forum, I only saw it brought up a handful of times.

Whatever is done for 6.0, I certainly hope the option (at least) to use normal tabs is in there. It's the one single thing that keeps me from using OW full-time. I hate the drawer, especially since it stays open even after you have closed all the additional tabs. Perhaps if it slid closed automatically, it might be livable.

I know many people like the thumbnails, but I'd rather just keep track of my tabs mentally and not have them waste space. Perhaps a roll-over-tab thumb like Opera is a compromise.

I use several other OmniGroup packages, but I've been using Firefox as my primary browser for quite a while, and there are a few features of that that I would really want before switching.

Where tabs are concerned, what I would really want are:
1) ability to un-close tabs (right click in tab drawer, and a list of the last, say, 10 tabs closed would be part of the pop-up menu there). And this wouldn't just be last page, but the whole page stack.
2) indicator of whether or not the latest page in a tab has been read yet
3) progress bar on tabs still loading
4) control of to which tab focus goes when creating a new tab, or closing an old one (only sometimes want to switch to new tab immediately)

I'll throw other ideas in other topics.

Thanks,

Dave

OmniWeb does 2 and 3 now. 1 is a very popular request and something we will certainly be considering in future versions and there is some control for 4 now, but only for opening tabs.

troy, as far as #3 goes, I think he wants an actual bar as oppose to a wheel - so there's a greater indication of how much is left. Pretty sure you saw the thread on this that was discussed ad nauseum.

Oh fair enough. He wasn't specific but I guess I should have at least specified what we do here.

2 cents worth... Given that all current Macs are widescreen, it arguably makes more sense to have tabs on the side rather than in a bar - just like 'power users' will often have the dock on the left or right rather than at the bottom. And if you reduce the thumbnails to text, you'll end up with a lot more in the OW tab draw than would be possible in a bar, with a scrolling option to boot. For my taste the draw and thumbs are far superior, and I hope Omni won't be abandoning them any time soon (even if a bar option would keep some people happy…)