The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Constraints Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have several finish start dependencies where the second task must be finished 30, 60 or more days after the first.

For example, I need task B to be scheduled 30 days after task A is finished. I do not want to put a hard date in the constraint for task B because the finish date for A may change. I would like the schedule for B to automatically reflect the 30 days from the date that A is actually finished.

How can I do this?

I possess less OmniPlan-Fu than some of the other folks here; I futzed around with OP a bit but wasn't able to come up with a workable answer for you. Apologies that I wasn't able to be of more assistance.

To guarantee that you get a response from the right folks, you'll want to use "Send Feedback" under the help menu. We promise a response to email, but we collectively browse the forums on an 'as-we-can' basis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroskelley View Post
I have several finish start dependencies where the second task must be finished 30, 60 or more days after the first.

For example, I need task B to be scheduled 30 days after task A is finished. I do not want to put a hard date in the constraint for task B because the finish date for A may change. I would like the schedule for B to automatically reflect the 30 days from the date that A is actually finished.

How can I do this?
Once you connect task A to task B with a finish to start dependency, make sure task A is selected and bring up the "Task : Dependencies" inspector. You should see a column named "Lead Time". Click in that field and type in your lead time of 30 days and that should do it.

Thanks. That worked great. Now, what if the first task has several different dependent task each with different start dates. Is it possible to set dependent tasks 30, 60 and 90 days from the same first task?

Piece of cake:

Thanks. Now one more question.

I am building a template. How do I key the start date of a task from the start date of the project. In other words, if I know i want to have completed a task 10 days after the project start date, how put that into the template?

Hmmm...I don't think you can do this. You can get close:
1) Create a milestone at the beginning of your project.
2) Create a finish->finish dependency from the milestone to the task.
3) Put a lead time of 10 days in that dependency.

This puts the end date in the right place, but will not give you a violation or anything if something else pushes that end date later.

Oh wait. Flip that all around, and I think you can do it.
1) Create a milestone.
2) Set its end constraint to 10 days into the project (in the Task: Information inspector)
3) Create a Finish->Start dependency (the default kind) from your task to this milestone.

This sounds kind of hackish to add a milestone here, but presumably if you care about something being finished by 10 days in, there's sort of a mental milestone there already.

Thanks. I will try it.