The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.7 sneaky peeks have begun! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
That was my experience also. My ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives folder was empty after the update. Instead of rolling back to 1.6.1, I restored the Perspectives folder from yesterday's Time Machine backup, and now the old perspectives are again back in the menu with SP 1.7. They are not, as you mentioned, in the toolbar but that's easy enough to fix.

Edited to update: Now they are gone again! I suppose I should try to put them back in once again and edit them immediately, but SP 1.7 is doing something to purge the Perspectives folder at some point after it launches.
OmniFocus 1.7 is supposed to import your 1.6 perspectives once, then create a small hidden ".loaded" file so it knows not to do it again (unless you intentionally remove that file to reimport them) and never touch your Perspectives folder ever again.

I just tested with a new user account, and that all seemed to work just fine… but then I went to check my own Perspectives folder, and I see it has also gone missing! So there's definitely a bug somewhere in the sneaky peek, and we'll try to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.

Any help anyone can provide on reproducing this would be great—since, as I mentioned, I wasn't able to reproduce it with a new account (and I'm not sure exactly when my own folder went missing).

Lost my perspectives as well. Also lost all toolbar settings; it was loaded with custom perspectives and scripts. Reverting to 1.6.1 to take a snapshot of my toolbar so I can reconfigure it in 1.7.

Curt

If I launch OF 1.7 with syncing enabled, then the old Perspectives files are deleted. If I turn off syncing, quit OF 1.7, restore my Perspectives files from backup, and relaunch, then my custom perspectives are loaded into OF 1.7.

After that I turned syncing back on and forced a sync. The perspectives remained. (Though I seem to have lost all my custom perspective icons. I'll file that one with the ninjas.)

Curt

Ah ha! Thank you for that insight, Curt, I'll turn on syncing on my test account and try to reproduce this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Ah ha! Thank you for that insight, Curt, I'll turn on syncing on my test account and try to reproduce this again.
Hmm. I'm still having no luck reproducing the problem. Any other clues?

My experience was that having syncing enabled only destroyed the perspectives on first launch of OF 1.7. I've been able to relaunch 1.7 since then with syncing on and my perspectives have stayed put.

Curt

Quote:
There is a lot to like about 1.7 thus far, but recreating all my old perspectives and my toolbar settings is not what I expected to be doing first thing this morning!
Sorry, it's not what we expected either! (I've been trying to figure this out since 6:30am and still haven't had any luck…)

Quote:
Before I muck with this setting, what is the command to revert back to the default?
You can reset any hidden setting to its default by removing it, like so:

Code:
defaults remove com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle
Hope this helps!

Ken, I don't know if this will help at all, but here is where I am at this point:

1) I reloaded 1.6.1, the entire ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder and sub-folders, and the 1.6.1 preference file, all from yesterday's TM backup.

2) I launched 1.6.1 and turned off syncing to MobileMe.

3) I installed the 1.7 SP, version ...7151 release and re-enabled MobileMe sync.

4) Now I have my perspectives back, and they remain in the menu and the old ones from 1.6.1 remain in the application support folder. New perspectives created in the SP do not (as expected) get created in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives.

So, all is working as expected, but I cannot say what step, or steps, above made a difference.

One problem that I am seeing with perspectives is that an icon assigned to a perspective does not stick between launches-the perspectives reload with the generic icon.

Last edited by Greg Jones; 2009-08-14 at 07:58 AM..

Quote:

One problem that I am seeing with perspectives is that an icon assigned to a perspective does not stick between launches-the perspectives reload with the generic icon.
There's definitely a larger problem with custom icons on perspective; doing a "rebuild library" nukes them as well. I reported it to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Sorry, it's not what we expected either! (I've been trying to figure this out since 6:30am and still haven't had any luck…)
Ken, I can reproduce this at will even with the 117151 version, and am happy to provide access to a system if that would help.