The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniWeb for the doomed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a version of OmniWeb available that works on OS X 10.2.8? And if so does it work with Gmail and/or Google Reader?

Due to hardware limitations (an old original iMac) I won't be progressing any further along the OS X upgrade path. But I recently brought the old iMac out of retirement and was hoping for a browser a little better than Firefox 2.x.

If you look here there's an OmniWeb 4.2 binary that I believe (but have not verified) will work under 10.2.8. I don't use gmail or Google Reader so won't offer any advice on how well it will work :-)

The machine currently has version 5.1 beta 5 on it -- I guess I downloaded that back when it was fresh and new, and it runs fine.

So 5.1 will apparently run OK on 10.2.8, but it won't work with Gmail or Google Reader because of Javascript incompatibilities. I'm hoping that changed in a later release but I don't know where to look.

Looking at the historical release notes, it appears that 5.1.3 was the last version that supported 10.2.8. 5.5 switched to using WebKit and required 10.4.6 or later. Maybe not too surprising that it behaves differently!

Yes, 5.1.3 was the last release that supported 10.2.8. I wouldn't expect great support in gmail or reader but you may be able to get it to work (though you may have to access it with JavaScript off).

All historical releases are available on our ftp:

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...iWeb-5.1.3.dmg