The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniOutliner XML format Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey everybody,

I've been an OmniOutliner user for some time, now, but I've just recently had the idea to posting some of my outlines to software development collaboration sites such as those driven by Trac. Of course, I can post any kind of file to the site, but I'm particularly interested in rendering the outlines directly in the html wiki pages. I also realize that OO handles direct export to HTML, but I'm interested in preserving file attachments.

I was under the impression that OO uses an XML format by default, so I expected that I could simply parse the .oo3 file directly using PHP and render the outline complete with links to what I would expect to be encapsulated attached files as CDATA sections in the XML.

Alas, when I tried viewing the contents.xml file contained in my .oo3 file/directory, I didn't see XML text data, but what appeared to be a binary file format.

So, I guess my question is, is .oo3 NOT xml, after all? Do I need to go back to the OmniOutliner 2 format? It seems to be XML, at least.

The version I'm using is:

Product: OmniOutlinerPro-3.6
Tag: OmniOutliner/3.6.1/v143.15

Anyway, I hope someone can help shed some light on this issue for me.

Thanks,
Jon Sharp

It's XML, it's just compressed (with gzip) by default. You can either read it using the gzip tools (e.g. "gzcat"), or turn off compression for your document in the "Document: Advanced" inspector.

Hope this help!