The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

newbe help multible resourses Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello i am currently trailing the software , first of all i am a Architect Builder the sort of projects i would be using omiplan for are things like barn conversions new house builds , these are quite large projects would you group say a barn conversion together into one project with all associated tasks or would you split it into a number of smaller projects . the secound question is on some tasks that say i have allowed a day for .this means 1 day with say 4 men so say my men are put in at 100 per day when i add them to the task it should say 400 for the task day however when i say try to imput the men on one task it seems to only calculate one man so instead of saying 400 for the day instead i just see 100 is there a way to add more than one person to a task and have the programe cerectly culculate the amount for the day. any help would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazio View Post
Hello i am currently trailing the software , first of all i am a Architect Builder the sort of projects i would be using omiplan for are things like barn conversions new house builds , these are quite large projects would you group say a barn conversion together into one project with all associated tasks or would you split it into a number of smaller projects .
If you are sharing the same resources for all the barn conversions and new house builds, I would group them into one project so that you can see possible scheduling conflicts if Bob the carpenter is accidentally assigned to two building sites at the same exact time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazio View Post
the secound question is on some tasks that say i have allowed a day for .this means 1 day with say 4 men so say my men are put in at 100 per day when i add them to the task it should say 400 for the task day however when i say try to imput the men on one task it seems to only calculate one man so instead of saying 400 for the day instead i just see 100 is there a way to add more than one person to a task and have the programe cerectly culculate the amount for the day. any help would be much appreciated.
How did you set up the cost for each man on your team? In OmniPlan, did you make them cost $100 per use, or did you set an hourly rate on each resource?

If you set them up with an hourly rate one thing you need to know is that by default, OmniPlan creates tasks with a fixed effort, variable duration. In other words, if a task takes 8 hours for 1 person to complete it, adding 2 people to the task will make the task complete in 4 hours because OmniPlan is assuming that a task will finish in half the time if you add an extra person to the task.

For your example, if you only assigned one man to the task would it take him 4 days to complete instead of 1 day? If that's the case you'll want to make that task a 4 day long task, then assign 4 of your men to the task. The resource cost should be $400 and the task will be 1 day in duration if you do it this way.