The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advise for a new user Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not sure if my question is similar so I hope you don't mind me tagging onto the bottom of this thread!

I have 3 recurring weekly tasks within a project, all with the same context (boring chores I need to do one each weekend). I set them up with one due this weekend, one the following and the one the weekend after that.

Two weeks in, my Next action shows the first task I entered into the project, not the next one due.

I am just using the iPad app and don't have a mac to set up any perspectives.

Project, sequential or parallel
Action=1st weekend, start this Saturday, due Sunday, repeat every 3 weeks on Saturday
Action=2nd weekend, start next Saturday, due Sunday, repeat every 3 weeks on Saturday
Action=3rd weekend, start the following Saturday, due Sunday, repeat every 3 weeks on Saturday

or

Project, sequential, start again every 3 weeks on Saturday, mark as done when complete
Action=1st weekend, start this Saturday, due Sunday, no repeat
Action=2nd weekend, start next Saturday, due Sunday, no repeat
Action=3rd weekend, start the following Saturday, due Sunday, no repeat

If you want the 4th weekend off, just change the "start again" to 4

In the first method the Project never completes. In the second it does and is reborn.

Do these need to be grouped for organizational purposes? Could you use a Single Actions List and just have them operate independently, each one starting on Saturday, due on Sunday, and repeating every 3 weeks?

Hi pjp,

I set it up as per the first one, and it's fine in that the actions remind me each weekend to do the next chore on the list.
What just bugs me is if I view the project as next available action it always shows me action 1 irrespective of whether action 2 say is actually the next one due.
I tried changing the project to sequential or single action list but of course the latter shows all of them, and then still in the order they were entered.

What I guess I'm after is a way to dynamically order that specific project based on the due date, which is how I ended up at this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniseedvan View Post
...if I view the project as next available action it always shows me action 1 irrespective of whether action 2 say is actually the next one due.
The Project (or planning) view will always show them as you have arranged them; there is no "sort by" function. A Context (or working) view should show you only the Next or the Available actions and then only the pending/gray ones if you choose to view Remaining. A Context view can be sorted by Project (reflects the list order of all your Projects) or by "Due Date & Flagged"

OF is really not set up to work out of Project mode. I do it for one particular project on my mac but I use a Project perspective; only Context perspectives are available on the iOS versions (send feedback!).

Hi Ani,

To see all other actions for Sequential Projects, press the Eye icon at the top, and press Remaining.

Otherwise, you can go to Forecast view, and the tasks will appear in Future.

Personally I try to avoid creating Project in Sequential mode.
And I don't know what the is the purpose of using Sequential projects :P

I mean I can create a Project in Parallel mode, and filter by "Next Action", isn't it similar to Sequential filtered by "Available"?

No, it is not the same!

While viewing in next action view will present the same sequence, if you should switch views to available actions, you may do the sequence out of order. This is not a problem if you use a sequential project because only the next action is available.

I've reset this up to Pjp's second option I.e. the project restarts after 3 weeks. At least by checking off the first task it doesn't then reappear 3 weeks later until presumably the project restarts itself.

Whoever thought my boring chores would be so interesting?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
No, it is not the same!

While viewing in next action view will present the same sequence, if you should switch views to available actions, you may do the sequence out of order. This is not a problem if you use a sequential project because only the next action is available.
I've set up a couple of sequential action projects for just that; there's a strict order they need to be done in, and I don't want my next action or indeed available views being cluttered up with stuff I cannot even start on.

I am still mentally building up my trust in this system, so still keep sneaking looks at "all" actions to check they are still there and haven't gone walkies!