The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

sort by due date in project view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a valid reason why you can't sort by due date in project view? It's certainly confusing that the option is available but doesn't work. I realize I could enter the projects by due date or focus on a project and switch to context mode, but it seems strange to me that it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave256 View Post
Is there a valid reason why you can't sort by due date in project view? It's certainly confusing that the option is available but doesn't work.
In planning mode (currently called "projects mode") you can sort projects by their due date, and when I tested just now it seems to be working for me. (Right now this is a little confusing because the project's effective due date for this sorting is the due date of the first action that comes due, which you can't actually see anywhere when you look at the project itself—but we're thinking of changing this soon to just use the project's assigned due date.)

Are you trying to sort individual actions rather than projects? If so, flip over to context mode (which operates on actions) and set the sort order there.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2007-09-07 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: fixed a typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post

Are you trying to sort individual actions rather than projects? If so, flip over to context mode (which operates on actions) and set the sort order there.
Yes, I was trying to sort items within a project and I do realize I can do that in context mode. The way I have it set up now is my projects don't have due dates, but items within the project do so that's why it appeared to me that sorting in project mode didn't do anything. I teach so I have a project for each course. Each course then has tasks like:

write HW 1
write HW 2
write lab 1
write lab 2
write lab 3
write exam 1
write exam 2

I tend to put them in that way and then add due dates. I tend to review in project mode (maybe I shouldn't) and wanted to see what needed done soon. I guess I need to figure out a different way to do the review or enter them by due date in project mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave256 View Post
I tend to review in project mode (maybe I shouldn't) and wanted to see what needed done soon. I guess I need to figure out a different way to do the review or enter them by due date in project mode.
I end up reviewing in both context and project mode. In project mode, I group and sort by review date, but if some actions within a parallel project have a due date and others don't, I tend to drag those actions to the top of the project (unless there's an implicit due date on the others).

In context mode, I first group and sort by completion date and show completed actions, to see what I have gotten done since the last daily or weekly review, and then group and sort by due date, to see which actions I need to have on my radar screen lest they blow up in my face.

I've set up perspectives for these views, which speeds the review along.

By the way, it seems to me that you ought to be able to sort by due date within each project by doing the following:switch to context view, group by project, and sort by due. However, it doesn't seem to work that way.