The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Best practices - many groups or projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
indygreg: It is an interesting concept you have; adding meaning to the order of projects. There are ways to manage without it I think. Regarding the stuff you call "noise"; maybe you should consider putting the stuff you know you don't want to work on right now to on-hold. Have you tried the built-in reviewing feature? It is flat and disregards deeply nested projects.

The problem I have with single-actions-lists (SAL) is that they can only be reviewed as a whole. There might be single actions that I want to put on hold for example. I could turn such actions into projects but then the naming of the project could become silly and since it only has one action its not really a project.

The problem I have with folders are that they are only available in planning mode. When you are reviewing for example you don't know which folder the SAL you are starring at belongs to.

The problem I have with groups is that if I have a super large project (almost a folder but it will eventually be marked as done so it is a project) that contains many important sub projects; then I can't review or put on-hold individual sub groups.

Colicoid - Thanks for the reply. I have not considered putting things on hold, but I am going to look at that now.
Also, I have not used the review feature. I will look how to do that.

EDITED:

I just figured out how to put things on Hold and hide them from view.
I also did the review process and I see its power. Right now it is someone low in value as I dumped all these projects in less than 1 week ago, so everything is together. But now I get where it matters (the next review and review pattern) in the inspector window for a project.

Thanks. That will make a big difference.

That review is flat . . . which is good - it just means that projects inside of folders should have names that give enough detail about what they are. Example - I have a 1-offs project under work and a 1-offs project under personal. In a flat view, these do not look obviously different.

Last edited by indygreg; 2008-04-09 at 09:00 AM..