The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb keyboard browsing. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello there. I'm new to OmniWeb. I come from the land of Opera, since 2.0

Ive become very profficient with Opera but the one thing that annoyed me most about Opera, and the one thing that I find absolutely amazing about OmniWeb is workspaces. I could go in depth as to why I love this feature so much, but I don't need to I think.

The thing that I cant figure out so far with OmniWeb is how to setup an efficient browsing setup for primarily keyboard usage. I've become very, very used to Opera's slick keyboard-based browser ability (I hit the z/x keys in every app I use, damnit) and I really dont think I could, and know that I certainly don't want to, get used to browsing with a mouse again.

Are there a good selection of keyboard browsing shortcuts (for scrolling, selecting tabs quickly, browsing links, history navigation etc..) and/or a way to change keyboard shortcuts without the need of prefacing everything with .

Thanks for reading :)

Scrolling - spacebar/shift-spacebar to scroll down and up one page at a time respectively.

Command-up/down to move through the tabs (N.B. there is currently a bug in the 5.6 sp whereby if a text entry field has focus, these don't work)

Browsing links - when the page has focus, press the first letter of the link (repeatedly for lots of links starting with the same letter). Note - another bug that has been present since the switch to WebKit with version 5.5 - pages don't get focus until you click on them.

History and Bookmark navigation - command-[ or ] to go back/forward in the history for a page. Control-F2 and arrow to the History and Bookmark menus to navigate your full History/Bookmarks (i.e. use Full Keyboard Access). Command-L to jump to the URL feed, type anything from the URL or title of the page you want to visit to search for it in the History/Bookmarks. Command-B and command-shift-H show you the Bookmarks and History pages respectively.

Press Enter if you want to jump to any pages labelled "Next" (useful for sites that shamelessly make you jump through multiple pages for a story to bump their advertising revenue).

Note - I haven't used Opera to know what it is you are asking specifically, but I'm guessing the answer to your last question (command-less keyboard shortcuts) is no due to the finding of links by typing the first letter.

Thanks.

It'd be nice if it were possible to turn off the find function so one could setup shortcuts for bare single keys.