The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Workspace launch control Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi my name is Ollie and I'm addicted to my OmniWeb workspaces...

My request is for a means to control which workspace OmniWeb launches into.

I like to imagine the different workspaces as 'documents' or 'aliases' I could selectively launch with depending on the activity OmniWeb is aiding me with.

Alternatively holding 'Option' or whatever while launching OmniWeb to select a workspace before it loaded my previous workspace.

Essentially the problem is some of my workspaces get a little heavy in tabs/windows from time to time. This is mildly annoying when I launch OmniWeb and one of these loads as the previous space when I'm looking to change to another space immediately.

Taking advantage of this would be tricky in the common scenario where OmniWeb has been asked to open a link by another app (e.g. NetNewsWire). While I'm letting my imagination run loose; Perhaps these workspaces could be made available as independent 'apps' - like flavors of OmniWeb. Potentially providing each workspace with an 'Open with' option ie:
Firefox, OmniWeb, OmniWeb:browsing, OmniWeb:shopping, Safari...

Or instead, a little closer to earth perhaps, a preference to select the workspace used when links are opened by other apps. Although I can see this could be frustrating in some scenarios.

Lastly the lateral approach would be to make it easier to move loaded tabs into other workspaces. Currently it is necessary to ensure the loaded webpage/s are in independent windows before I can move them to another - background workspace. Additionally it is necessary to reveal the workspaces window to do this. I imagine an option in the action menu or contextual menu on the tabs palette or the web page itself would be great. This would help me keep my workspaces a little trimmer and tidier.

I hope you can see the intention behind my suggestions?

Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5 and put your Workspaces folder in your Dock. When you want to open OmniWeb at a particular Workspace, select it from the folder. The one (very) annoying bug with this method is that the first time you click the Workspace menu in OmniWeb afterwards, it will reload the currently open Workspace before you can select a different one.