The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What I Wish we had in Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
So having a quick way to delegate and receive tasks would mess up your workflow? Right now getting things in and out of OF takes too much time. If anything, offering the ability to auto load OF generated tasks would make life easier. I know there's a way to click on an OF generated link and have it automatically go into the inBox, but right now, this isn't part of the shipping experience on the desktop or iOS.
Well, for me a quick way to delegate a task = writing an email or making a phone call. Exporting the task directly to email from OF (there's a sript to do this, as you note) doesn't actually work for me (I've tried), simply because a number of environments I work in just don't respond to this (i.e. receiving an email from a "machine" rather than having a sugar-coated, personalized email begging the to do something), while in other cases I'm delegating to people when, say, im organizing a conference. In the latter case, I might end up "delegating" tasks such as: "send me abstract by ..." to people that are actually "hierarchically" my superiors. This may sound twisted, but there's many instances in which some people could find it rude to get, again, what doesn't look like a personal request to do something.
I realize that this is probably a marginal situation, but it's mine. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
I have a system which mostly works for team delegation, but I know it can be done better. I have to use a combination of iCal, BusyCal, and Anxiety to bubble up Tasks to the team. After all of this setup, I really wondered and desired to be able to do it directly in OF. I mean, we bought 5 licenses, thinking we could do team delegation directly in OF, but when we started stomping on each others toes because of the nature of the db, I had to quickly figure out how to force OF to work for us.

I'm all for the streamlined approach to GTD and I've kept this in mind as much as possible.

I guess it's time to start putting pixels on the screen to sell the idea even more.

I have the entire app and workflow mindmapped. I guess now is as good as time as any to draw the UI.

If you remember the HotList from Potion Factory, it looks like someone is trying to revive it, and guess what...local and web sharing is part of the workflow:
http://thehublist.com/

Sharing doesn't need to be complicated. Heck, look @ iTunes Home Share and iPhoto Sharing as an example of how easy Sharing can be. :)
Sharing might not have to be complicated in many situations, but again for someone like me, it would have to be: some of my work requires confidentiality, and I need to separate tasks very carefully. I wouldn't just be worried with those issues in case of "direct inbox sharing", I would also be worried about my slipping and sending someone information that isn't meant for them. In this sense, the "complication" of delegating in the current version works well for me. I also think that many processes can be automated, and thanks to the wonderful scripters around here, you can do it piece by piece, approximating what works best for you. E.g., I'm a great fan of the script creating a waiting-for reply task when you send an email.