The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Purchasing Omnifocus direct v Mac App Store Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
At this point I prefer to purchase direct for most of my software, but I do have one question I'd like to know...

Which purchase method gives OmniGroup more income?

I imagine they may not want to answer that but I prefer to support the developers where I can.

It seems to me that since they can't completely shut down the direct sales channel they aren't really seeing a full 30% worth of value out of Apple's distribution model.

What I don't get is the kind of licence you get on the App Store. I have family licences for some Omni products, and single licence for others: do the App Store licences, which are priced as single user, give you permission to install on more machines? In this case, the value of family pack has already disappeared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaz View Post
What I don't get is the kind of licence you get on the App Store. I have family licences for some Omni products, and single licence for others: do the App Store licences, which are priced as single user, give you permission to install on more machines? In this case, the value of family pack has already disappeared...
According to the Mac App Store Terms & Conditions:

You may download and use an application from the Mac App Store ("Mac App Store Product") for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X that you own or control ("Mac Product").
Now, does that mean if both you and your spouse want to use it, that you need to buy one for each of you, even if you own or control both computers? Not entirely clear to me, whereas the Omni family pack does cover that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDave View Post
Which purchase method gives OmniGroup more income?
Happy to help, but I'm not sure I understand the question - prices are the same in both places, but Apple takes a cut of sales on the Mac App Store. Per sale, we're going to see more revenue from a transaction on our own store.

That doesn't mean that folks should feel guilty if the Mac App Store works better for them, though. As Ken mentioned on our blog, we regard this as a huge improvement over selling boxed software in retail, where you're lucky if you clear 50%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaz View Post
Our understanding of App Store licensing is that one person is licensed on multiple Macs, but our single-customer licenses support that, too.

The Family Packs still offer a better deal than the Mac App Store, where you'd would have to purchase five copies at full price to cover five people, versus paying less than 2x on our store. Does that help?

Hi All,
I'm looking to buy OF and OP. If I buy via the Omni store I get 5% discount for buying 2 products. Would I get similar discount if I bought these 2 products via the Mac App Store?

Nope, have to buy directly from Omni, and they have to be purchased together.

Wee, that licencing thing is a bit confusing, but now it´s all clear to me. I´m still evaluating the software, but in the end of the trial period i´ll sure buy it direct to Omni.