The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Changing the indent spacing in main column Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying out OmniOutliner as a new user. I have searched the forum for this answer but it has escaped me. My question is this:

Can you change the number of spaces that define the amount of indentation each child outline item has from its parent item in the main topic column?

This would be an important feature to me because I'm finding that visually the default indentation looks cluttered to me and reduces the utility of the product.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited by ttigner; 2010-02-10 at 09:19 AM..

Yes, see Inspectors->Row Spacing for the controls.

You can control the amount a child row is indented by changing the "Indent child" value in the Row: Spacing inspector. This can either be set on a per row basis or a global setting for the document by changing the whole document style. To do that, open the utility drawer and select 'Whole Document' in the list located in the lower half of the drawer and then set the child indent value. Let me know if you questions about anything else!

Well fine, type a quicker response Bill :D

Yours had more depth, to be sure!

It never ceases to amuse me how a relatively straightforward question can be posed on the forum, one that any number of people could answer, and yet there will be a lengthy silence (at least in the eyes of the person who desperately needs an answer now) until everyone and his brother all answer virtually simultaneously!

Many thanks!

This is exactly what I was looking for. This is the kind of flexibility I was hoping for - and which could make the tool very useful.

Follow up question:

Once you get the formatting you prefer (such as row spacing/indenting and fonting, etc.) is there a way to make that the default? I see both a styles function and a template function.

(I wish Lynda.com did a tutorial on these kinds of formatting issues.)

Thanks again; much appreciated.

The default for any file? You can modify the template used to create new document by going to OmniOutliner menu -> Preferences -> General tab -> Edit New Document template. Then with that template open, modify the whole document style, or which ever styles you want, then save and close it. After that, any new document you create will use those settings unless you create a file from a different template.

Derek,

This is great! Now I'm starting to feel more at home with this tool.

I could see how this could really grow on you.

Thanks again,

Terry

Terry, you should definitely take the time to watch the video tutorials on OmniOutliner available at http://www.omnigroup.com/application...ner/tutorials/

When you've watched them, use the program for a few days, then go back and watch them again. Also, if you go to the OO extras page (click the Extras link on the page above) there's a file full of sample documents which will give you some ideas of the many ways it can be used.