The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Looking at next years repeating tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When you mark a task as repeating, as soon as you mark it completed OF generates a new task for next year (month, day, or whatever the cycle is).

Of course this can be VERY tiresome. I don't want to have to wade through a ton of tasks that have a start date so far into the future.

Unless I'm missing something (which is always likely :-) what I would like to have is a "notification" time period. What that means is that OF would hide the task from the list until the time (start-date - notification period). The time period would be set for each individual repeating task

For example if I put down a two week notification period, the task would not reappear on my list until two weeks before the next start date.

This means I won't have to look at the task "fertilize the lawn in May" all winter long.

Anyone else feel this way?

Jeffrey

To be clear, you want to see Remaining Actions in Planning View, but only those whose start date is coming up "real soon now". Is that right?

Fertilize the lawn in May sounds like a project. The Active Projects filter will hide projects with future start dates. (Pending shows them.) You could put an mid-April start date and a May due date on the project. Then use the Active Projects filter and the project will appear a couple of weeks before you need it.

That doesn't help for singleton actions, though. In practice I don't have enough deferred singleton actions that they bother me yet. Especially now that the singleton's are blue and contrast more with the gray deferred actions.

In general, I would before that any hiding of actions/projects be accomplished using the View Bar. If the system automatically hid future actions, then how would we know what was already captured?

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
For example if I put down a two week notification period, the task would not reappear on my list until two weeks before the next start date.
Perhaps we could have found a better term, but that's exactly the purpose for the start date: it's the date that an action will appear on your list of available actions. (You'll still see such future actions when showing "all" or "remaining" actions, but they're hidden when showing "available" or "next" actions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Perhaps we could have found a better term, but that's exactly the purpose for the start date:)
Ahh... I interpreted the start date in a manner similar to that used in project management (each task has a start date, and estimated duration (i.e. stop date or due date).

In that case I might want things to start appearing a week or two before, as a tickler for up and coming events (not on the actual start date for that task).

Of course these kinds of notifications are most useful for projects with many concurrent tasks where the concept of a "next" item is not as important.