The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How can I make the Name column narrower in project view? [SOLVED: See thread] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Maybe I'm just being brain-dead (definitely ... I'm living and trying to work through a major house remodel. Major chaos) ... I have a Perspective with an exceptionally wide Name column, and I can't make it narrower.

Also, the Context column header is missing ... the context for each item displays, but the header doesn't.

I've tried the basics, my view bar is open, I can make the Name column wider, and I can make the other columns wider or narrower (except the Context column, see above). I know I had this problem once before, and solved it, but I can't remember what I did, nor can I find a solution in the forum.

Help!

(back to packing up the kitchen)

Last edited by LizPf; 2009-05-13 at 03:42 AM..

Click in the cell of one of the values for which the column name isn't appearing. At this point, the column name should appear, and you can then resize it.

That solved the easy half of the problem.

I now have the Context column heading back. But the Name column is the one that's too wide, and I still can only make it wider, not narrower.

LizPf, it appears that there's a minimum size specified for the name column. It'll shrink to a certain point, and then stop.

I'm not sure if that's a bug or if there's some reasoning behind that behavior; if you send an email to the support ninjas, they can look into this and write up your request to get the behavior changed in a future version.

Brian, she's complaining about having an exceptionally wide name column -- perhaps that's a different issue?

LizPf, can you resize the name column in your other perspectives? When you put the mouse cursor directly over the divider in the column headings between name and context, what does it look like? A vertical bar with arrows pointing left and right, or just to the right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf View Post
That solved the easy half of the problem.
Problems are always easy after they've been solved ;-)

Last edited by sfkeydel; 2009-05-06 at 05:09 AM..

Whpalmer4,

Yes, the Name column is very wide, much wider than it needs to be to contain the longest name.

I did check my other Perspectives, and the same issue exists ... *except* on my Little To Do List.

My LTDL is a deliberately small window, because it stays on screen all the time. I don't have the View Bar showing normally, and the Name column is a decent size, 24-25 characters. If I show the View Bar, I can make the Name column wide and then put it back to where it was.

So, I know I was able to make the column narrower at one time ... but I forget how.

I'll wait another day for forum help, then shoot a note to the ninjas.

--Liz

What happens if you make the window narrower?

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Brian, she's complaining about having an exceptionally wide name column -- perhaps that's a different issue?
"Exceptionally wide" is kind of subjective. I'm willing to bet the minimum size the window will shrink to is what she's seeing.

Example:

That appears to be the smallest width the column will collapse down to. I'm guessing LizPF wishes it was narrower...

I'm back, and the problem is still around. [As I said, we're having the entire back half of our house gutted and expanded. I work at home — or try to.]

Brian, I understand what you are saying. I know there has to be a minimum column width. I believe my Little To Do list is at that minimum, which appears to be 24-25 characters in the Name column. I'm quite happy with that width.

However, I have another Perspective where the name column can't be made narrower than about 63 characters. This is too wide.

In both Perspectives, I can make the column wider, or return it to the 24 or 63 character minimum. I can't make the column narrower than the numbers above.

BTW, I'm on a G4 PowerBook, running 10.4.11, and the stable 1.6.1 OF. I do use the sneakypeeks when available.

--Liz