The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vote for further start date support in Forecast view [Email support for OG #631951] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support the option in an upcoming release to display items that have started and are not yet due in Forecast mode, now that it supports start dates. *I.e., a task with a start date of tomorrow and due Saturday would appear as a count in EACH day of Forecast mode between (and still on) those days.

OmniGroup response:

"Thanks for taking the time to write!

That sounds like a reasonable request —*in fact, we talked about this at our meeting today. (Not that we were committing to it, of course, but that we've had some users request it.)

Consider a vote added!

Thanks again,

Derek Reiff
Support Ninja"

Oh, that had better be optional!

"Please support the option in an upcoming release to display items that have started and are not yet due in Forecast mode, now that it supports start dates."

I've gotta add one of those really long, non-binding, legalese disclaimers to the end of my emails... ;-)

Just kidding. If you'd like to see this feature as well, email us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Oh, that had better be optional!
+ 1. Sometimes I set something to be done in a 5 day window, but it's not gonna take 5 days, maybe an hour. Showing it on every day would distort the view of how much work I need to do.

Are people here talking about the count (that was the word used) showing up every day displayed in the forecast for Start date tasks?

First off, currently the count is not displayed for any start date tasks, only Due date tasks warrant a count on the forecast header.

I personally like this compromise: the number indicates only due tasks, as they are critical tasks, but if I click on the day, I can also see start tasks. It's a nice compromise.

I wouldn't want that to change.

Now... something that I might consider useful, would be to display in the task view Section (not the task count header) tasks that started on previous days.

For example if I had three tasks that I was supposed to start yesterday, and two tasks that I was supposed to start two days ago, they coud also be shown in the current day's view.

They should of course be grouped separately from the "start today" items, because those tasks would be "new" information, and most relevant for the selected day.

But I could see the usefulness of having a reminder there of some tasks that I should have recently started. It can be easy to overlook or forget a task that I should have started the day before but didn't because I had a couple of crazy days.

Of course the question would be, how many days back do you show? Maybe five days worth? a week?

My take is that analyticalbiochemist is proposing that a task with a start date prior to today which has a due date of today or later would show up in the list of started/starting tasks (and due tasks, if appropriate). Today is Thursday; a task that started Wednesday and is due Friday would show up in the list of started/starting tasks on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Only on the day it is due (Friday) would it show up in the count of due items for the day.

An action possessing a start date but not a due date should not be shown except on the date it starts (in other words, the current behavior), in my opinion, as it would lead to an overly cluttered display in the general case.

Quote:
But I could see the usefulness of having a reminder there of some tasks that I should have recently started. It can be easy to overlook or forget a task that I should have started the day before but didn't because I had a couple of crazy days.
I think it is also worth noting that a start date is not necessarily an assignment of when work should start — it is when work could start. You're free to treat it as the more restrictive interpretation, of course, but it isn't a universally accepted policy.