The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Losing my preferences every time I quit Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
the title says it all. Very time I file/quit the application, I lose my preference settings. Needless to say, this is more than annoying.

I created a new user on my machine and using fast user switching went to that environment and tested there and the preferences were retained. So the aberrant behavior is somehow related to my environment.

I tried deleting the app and related folders (application support and cache and prefs) and reinstalling to see if that helped. It didn’t and what I found weird was that after reinstalling, while my bookmarks, prefs and workspaces were all gone, it still retained my license info, so some file somewhere persisted so I obviously didn’t do a totally clean install.

So a couple questions.

First, has anyone seen this kind of behavior or have any clue why I might be experiencing it?

Second, any idea why it retained my license info? Is there a folder somewhere I didn’t delete? I used spotlight to search on my license key text string and only found the emails that contained it, no other files.

And I guess a third question. I’m gonna get my preferences all setup and then copy the file into another location so I can just copy it back after this happens again. Is there a way I can use something like automator to make this quick and easy?

I haven't ever seen this, but two shots into the blue as to what might be the problem: I think this could happen if OW doesn't have write access to the directory or the file it wants to write the preferences to, or the disk where it tries to write to is full.

So maybe you could check the permissions of the directory Library/Preferences in your home directory and those of the file Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist – which is the file you want to copy to save your preferences, too.

"Disk full" is not too probable, as you'd have a bunch of other problems, too, and not only with OW. This might only be the case if you have Library or Library/Preferences mounted on another disk.

As for the license: I don't know. ;-)

Best regards, Christian

thanks for the reply Christian.

Yep, disk has plenty of space.

Re permissions, hadn’t thought to check that. Was set to read/write by the owner, nothing at the group or ‘everyone’ level. So I set it to read and write for all 3 levels. We’ll see what happens.

Fwiw, depending on the type of install you do, the licence is saved to either /Library/Application Support/OmniGroup/Software Licences folder or the home folder equivalent. It isn't stored as part of the OmniWeb support folders.