The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to view completed and available actions in context mode? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I'm trying to build a perspective that shows me, for some contexts, all the actions (available and completed) for these contexts.

I tried it in Project view, but there I cannot find how to restrict the context shown. I also tried it in Context view, but there the Status view filter only offer Remaining (and sub groups of that) or (exclusively) Completed. I'd be happy with a "Any status" option, and even better if I could have available + completed (i.e. not display not available yet not completed actions).

This seems to have been asked for before, but there was no solution proposed:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12716

If you have any suggestion as how to do this, I'd gladly hear it. (And I'm sending this as well to the Support Ninjas.)

I do not see any way to accomplish this while still displaying your data in OmniFocus. One could export the two "sides" of your view to files to be imported by a spreadsheet, or write an Applescript that would walk the content trees and build an OmniOutliner document.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it goes beyond my AppleScript abilities.

I'll report on what the Ninja Support say when they respond.

I didn't promise it would be easy :-)

Would the OmniOutliner document approach be of interest, if someone else provided a script (this is not a commitment to do so!)? I don't have a good feel for whether this functionality is something you need only occasionally, but for something of great importance (so a bit of inconvenience would be acceptable), or something you'd want to refer to quickly and often (in which case you might be stuck).

I'm sure it would work great, as it's something I would need to do only once a day.

(For full disclosure, I'm trying to implement Autofocus 2 with OmniFocus. The main issue is finding which items to flag for future dismissal, which is the first block of unactioned actions, thus I need to see both completed and available actions to identify it.)

Thanks a lot for the uncommitted suggestion ;-)

Ah, yes, I can see why you would need the view you requested for that. Have you used Autofocus previously, before Mark unveiled his latest version?

Yes, I was using AF before (using The Hit List). I wanted to go back to OF, and AF2 seemed like a good opportunity.

Also, I receive an answer from the support ninjas saying they have a request for "OR" filtering in the view options, so if it gets implemented it could be a solution. (And if other people want it, please send feedback about it, it seems that the number of requests for a feature give it more chances to be implemented.)