The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Strange gray column between tasks and gantt Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings,

Somehow I clicked when I should not have clicked and now I have this mysterious gray column between my tasks and my gantt cart. There is a subtle gray zigzag line running through the column. The same thing appears on the resource view. I would really like to get rid of this, but I cannot seem to adjust it at all. I can change the size of the task pane, and the durations displayed on the gantt chart, but I cannot grab the gray column and do anything with it.

Now all new projects I create have this annoying column. Restarting Omniplan does nothing. Any ideas what this could be and how to get rid of it?!

Nevermind. I was able to make this go ahead my making a task, dragging it all the way out so that gantt pane started scrolling to the right, and then when I dragged back to the left the gray column was gone. Very odd.

It sounds like you're describing what I like to refer to as "The Beginning of Time". Or, for projects scheduled backwards from a fixed end, "The End of Time".

People were confused about why there was this line on the left side of the gantt chart that tasks wouldn't start before. You could always make them start later, but no matter how hard you drag them, they wouldn't go earlier. That's because the project start date is an implicit start no earlier than constraint on every task in the project. We decided to go ahead and draw it. You can turn it off (and on again) using the View -> Gantt -> Show Project Start menu item.

Note that when you drag a task around as you have, you set a start constraint on it. In general, start constraints (or any kind of constraints) should be used only when there is some real world reason that task cannot begin earlier (or whatever). It's a bad practice to add constraints or dependencies to tasks if they do not accurately model a real world constraining factor. Just a little aside there.

-Tom