The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Strange Location issue... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there, quite new to OF and OF for iPhone and loving it so far... Thanks. One oddity I have is as follows:

I have locations up and running fine apart from my HOME context (where I've put my postcode (zipcode?!)) - OF always thinks I'm about 700km from home - however, if I hit the button to see a map, it finds me and my home fine (a few km away).

Any clues anyone?!

Thanks

Are you on EDGE when this happens? Try it with WiFi and you'll get a more accurate reading. This has happened to me. The EDGE towers are not as accurate as your WiFi router doing the locations. If, I'm wrong about this assumption, someone please chime in.

mokeiko

thanks for that.

However, it does the same thing on wifi (even when I'm at home, it says I'm 762km away).

Any other ideas?

Thanks

If you're only seeing this when on wifi, the service that Apple uses for wifi location might have a bad entry registered for your wifi router. If you see it both when on wifi and when on edge or 3g, that sounds more mysterious.

it's on both.

The oddest thing to me is that when I click on the 762km button, it produces a perfectly sensible (and significantly shorter) route...

I am finding the same problem with many UK post code only entries - I have to append the city and/or county to have it find the correct location, otherwise it often finds one several hundred km away.

Edit: this is on a 3G or EDGE network at work btw, not WiFi.

Edit 2: and the Maps application is able to locate me (pretty much) correctly, though a GPS signal isn't present in my office.