The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

omniweb eating the cpu Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just to let you know that after a while the browser is jumping from 3-5 cpu process to 95.

Any ideas why?

Known JavaScript issues. Should be fixed in 5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Known JavaScript issues. Should be fixed in 5.6.
any idea when 5.6 will be coming out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythelaw
any idea when 5.6 will be coming out?
Or if any of the javascript fixes might make their way into 5.5.x? The CPU issue and the problems with Gmail are keeping me using Safari...

Originally the fix (which is updating to a new webkit) was going to be 5.5.1, but other changes in the webkit (eg, how forms are handled) have proven tricky for them to add such features as the zoomed text editor. So they moved that to 5.6 and implemented some highly-requested changes/fixes in 5.5.1 (eg, ajax fixes...)

I think it's important to realize Omni does not work like Microsoft. Although MS does push back release dates, their marketing teams often set them fairly firmly for revenue reasons. The developers can be saying "there's major issues, security holes..." and they'll freeze any changes just to make sure it's released on time. Omni, on the other hand, seems to release it when they feel it's ready.

PS. I don't work for Omni, and all of the above is based mainly on stuff they've posted in this forum and the results I've seen them create over the past couple years.

Quote:
Originally the fix (which is updating to a new webkit) was going to be 5.5.1, but other changes in the webkit (eg, how forms are handled) have proven tricky for them to add such features as the zoomed text editor. So they moved that to 5.6 and implemented some highly-requested changes/fixes in 5.5.1 (eg, ajax fixes...)
While I completly understand the above. It really needs to be fixed ASAP. I have a first gen MacBook Pro with omniweb running the computer becomes a desktop due to the heat. While I know that photoshop and or motion should do this and that is a hardware problem, but my primary web browser should not be in the same group as CPU heavy apps i just listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossi
While I completly understand the above. It really needs to be fixed ASAP. I have a first gen MacBook Pro with omniweb running the computer becomes a desktop due to the heat. While I know that photoshop and or motion should do this and that is a hardware problem, but my primary web browser should not be in the same group as CPU heavy apps i just listed.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm disappointed to see they've started adding new features before fixing this major bug.

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm disappointed to see they've started adding new features before fixing this major bug.
The only reason new features have come through is because the WebKit update isn't quite ready yet. As soon as it's in a state that is safe to release you can bet we will do it. We want you all to have these fixes as much you do!

Really sorry to keep you waiting.

FWIW, omniweb doesn't eat my G4 cpu. It could be I visit sites that aren't as Flash or JS intensive, but the CPU use never gets too high.

After a couple of hours, the memory usage goes from about 41mb to 275mb+ though. Same issue?